mustang is bucking and running like crap

donsbad68

Immensely Educated
Jan 4, 2003
Oklahoma
Ok, my 1989 5.0 5spd is running like crap. I have replaced the following parts and the car still bucks in every gear like it has a miss, cruising it bucks at almost any RPM and it acts like it hits a wall at 5000 RPM just boom big time jerk and it wont pull anymore. In extreme case it sounds like it pops out the TB. The timing is set at 12* with the pill out.

New parts:
tune-up
O2 sensors
TPS
EGR
Idle air

• Sponsors (?)

donsbad68 said:
no clue have no reader and the nearest parts store is about 50 miles away, wouldnt like to drive it that far like this, the bucking on the hi-way at 75 would get old real fast.
Here is some info on retrieving the codes with a paperclip/jumper wire, etc.
That is where i would start. Your repair manual should also have a run-down on pulling codes.
The thing with EFI is that it is a bit more complex than a carbed set-up. So it is nice to utilize the on-board diagnostics to help find issues.

Are you sure your plug wires are up to par? One can get a nasty miss if they are bleeding.

Good luck.

problem is fixed! I broke down and went and bought a 20 dollar code reader, and for next to nothing fixed the problem. Turned out the TPS voltage was way too high and the EGR valve didnt have any vacuum! Thanks for the help guys she is running like a champ now!