Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

Can't sleep, too excited about painting my car! Got the trailer out in the driveway. Got all the materials needed, today I have to put the rear end under the car to make it roll, load it on the trailer and take it to my brother's shop. So, today will consist of finish prepping, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. We'll push it into the booth and paint it tomorrow!
Weatherman says sunny weather today and tomorrow, I'll get a few pictures. Hopefully the last freeze took care of bugs. Got to clean out that booth before I shoot it. Jeez I'm hyped right now!

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I found a foam and gasket kit for the heater box/plenum from Classic Auto Air for 86-93 fox bodies. Don't remember exactly what I paid, I'm buying lots of little stuff. I'll let you know how it fits. I think it was about $40 with the shipping.

Can't sleep, too excited about painting my car! Got the trailer out in the driveway. Got all the materials needed, today I have to put the rear end under the car to make it roll, load it on the trailer and take it to my brother's shop. So, today will consist of finish prepping, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. We'll push it into the booth and paint it tomorrow!
Weatherman says sunny weather today and tomorrow, I'll get a few pictures. Hopefully the last freeze took care of bugs. Got to clean out that booth before I shoot it. Jeez I'm hyped right now!

You need to post before and after pics of the car... So... Snap some before you shoot it! Don't be embarrassed of showing what it looks like before.. You should look at the thread of my son's car we are doing. PICS!

Progress Thread - As Requested: Project Horse Manure | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Okay, got the rear end put in, made it a roller. My brother and I were starting to push it out of the shop and the steering wheel was locked. No problem, right? Just put the key in it. My brother can't find the key! We search for about an hour and a half, no joy. Decided to disconnect the steering shaft and push it on the trailer. So, still golden. Try to strap it down on the trailer, the four tie down straps I borrowed were all broken except one! Crap, hate gremlins! Bought some straps I needed anyhow. Got it over to my brother's shop and we began the final prep. Keep in mind, this car was stripped to the metal, all the body work has been done, primered, blocked, reprimered and reblocked already at this stage. So today, it was reblocked one last time in preparation for paint. It is so straight looking down the sides! As you can see in the pictures, the body will be shot with the doors, hood and fenders off.
Tomorrow morning we seam seal along the rocker to 1/4 panel seam and put in new flow able seam sealer where the hatch hinges attach (all the old seam sealer there was stripped off.
Then clean like monsters, mask it up, blow the dust out of the booth and shoot it.
Enough jabbering, here's some pictures of today's progress, the rear end finally attached to the trailing arms, on the trailer, and finally, the prepped car.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 246
You need to post before and after pics of the car... So... Snap some before you shoot it! Don't be embarrassed of showing what it looks like before.. You should look at the thread of my son's car we are doing. PICS!

Progress Thread - As Requested: Project Horse Manure | Mustang Forums at StangNet
I looked a at your thread, how sweet is that! Yeah, that first car would have been easier it looks like. What's your car look like right now? The only reason my son is interested in helping me with my car right now is that he gets my truck when the mustang is a driver......I'll accept that, he doesn't realize how much I enjoy his company.

I looked a at your thread, how sweet is that! Yeah, that first car would have been easier it looks like. What's your car look like right now? The only reason my son is interested in helping me with my car right now is that he gets my truck when the mustang is a driver......I'll accept that, he doesn't realize how much I enjoy his company.

Well, that's his car. ( my son's) We are in the body work stage and took a break for his football season. Now that it's over, we are about to get back on it. It's in primer still with bodyfiller spots on it here and there.

Got it shot today. I'll post some of the progress pictures. I mentioned the paint was given to me by our local Akzo Nobel rep, right? Well, that said, I am extremely grateful for all the materials donated. And yet....The color isn't the color I wanted. It's not the deep blueish red of 3R1. I'm not sure what got mixed, it says 3R1 on the mix label on the can. I was stuck, so I painted it that red. I will adapt to liking it.

That said, the bodywork turned out spectacular (thanks to a brother with god-like skills in bodywork). It is so straight that you would have to see it to really appreciate it. His talent is amazing to me. I'm so grateful for his help.

One odd but interesting effect to having a color that I don't necessarily love is that I can maybe go a little unconventional with it now. Maybe flame it later, or obtain some of those Cobra Jet decals and work it into a fox platform? Who knows.

The car is back home in Tulsa now! No more 70 mile drives to work on it.

'nuff said, here's some pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 240
I like it, man. Like you said, it's gonna grow on you. I don't think i ever bought paint and had it exactly what i had envisioned, sadly. The good news is, i did grow to like it later. That car is going to look great finished!

Reactions: 1 user
It's tough to really see the color on the car, would need a close up in good light for us to be able to see close to what you see. Is it two stage? Any flake or pearl? If your not happy with it then the time is NOW to change it before reassembly. Like you said earlier you plan to keep it forever.

I don't think i ever bought paint and had it exactly what i had envisioned, sadly.!

As far as a professional auto body suppliers mixing paint for factory color code paint jobs they should be a spot on match. So if you see a car you like and get the paint code for that car the paint should be spot on. The paint is mixed using a computer and a machine. It's a science, not guess work. I'd be upset if I was this guy unless the color really isn't that far off the mark and still looks great.

It's tough to really see the color on the car, would need a close up in good light for us to be able to see close to what you see. Is it two stage? Any flake or pearl? If your not happy with it then the time is NOW to change it before reassembly. Like you said earlier you plan to keep it forever.

As far as a professional auto body suppliers mixing paint for factory color code paint jobs they should be a spot on match. So if you see a car you like and get the paint code for that car the paint should be spot on. The paint is mixed using a computer and a machine. It's a science, not guess work. I'd be upset if I was this guy unless the color really isn't that far off the mark and still looks great.
The jobber that mixed it up might have screwed up. I told him I needed two quarts and that would be enough. They delivered 6 quarts! This was given to me by Akzo Nobel through there regional rep.
I do understand the computerized scales and mixing the paint. It's what I do for a living. I hope that doesn't sound smart**s, not meaning it that way.
I think that I may not have been given the attention I wanted when they were mixing the paint.
Truthfully, someone screwed up and i could raise a bit of hell over it. I'm not though, this is an inconvenience for me for sure, but it's not the one that I'll burn the bridge over. These people are my friends and have been for decades, I'll suck this one up.
THAT SAID......I'm going to repaint it. Just didn't want that color. What I have is some nice red primer on the car right now that I will block out again. This LAST time with 800 so I won't need to use sealer.
It is a two stage formula, I wanted to paint the car with all the panels off so I could get the jambs at the same time. Using a three stage might allow for some slight difference in color between panels that are off.
Oh yeah, it's a pearl. If you understand paint lingo, it's a very dirty red (meaning cloudy, with the cloudiness being orange in hue and WAY too bright in the flop).
The original color I wanted is a very clean pearl that offers a cleanness and depth that rivals a three stage paint job. The color that the engine bay is painted and the hood as well is that color, it's just gorgeous.
All that said, Now that I have the car in my garage, life will be so much easier to make these things happen. I will probably be taking doors, fenders, bumpers, etc... to my shop a little at a time this month and repaint the body in early January.

That kinda sucks man. My car fell off the trailer yesterday so I've got to do a lot that I wasn't planning on doing until next winter. This car building thing is rough sometimes...but this is what makes us different from the rest. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 2 users
That kinda sucks man. My car fell off the trailer yesterday so I've got to do a lot that I wasn't planning on doing until next winter. This car building thing is rough sometimes...but this is what makes us different from the rest. Keep up the good work.
Fell of the trailer?! How bad? Jeez that bites!

It was pretty bad...both straps broke...I have no idea how. The core support grabbed the trailer on the way off....bent it up bad. Luckily no one got hurt. I ended up driving it home. Going to build a tubular lower support and attempt to tuck my radiator. My bumper was trashed so I ordered an 04 cobra bumper kit.... Fabbing for the intercooler space for the turbo coming next winter.

It was pretty bad...both straps broke...I have no idea how. The core support grabbed the trailer on the way off....bent it up bad. Luckily no one got hurt. I ended up driving it home. Going to build a tubular lower support and attempt to tuck my radiator. My bumper was trashed so I ordered an 04 cobra bumper kit.... Fabbing for the intercooler space for the turbo coming next winter.
Man! That's scary. I was bringing mine back from Stillwater (about an 80 mile trip) on the highway at night going 75. Was greatly pleased to see that it was still on the trailer when I got to the lights of Tulsa.
You'll have to post some pictures of the fabrication you will do, I'd be interested in seeing them.

I will, man. I've got my cheesy progress thread. Lol. I hope the minority of the parts will arrive this week so I can jump on it this weekend.