Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I got the rot cut out and new panel welded in today. No bondo to smooth out things today, I'll save that for after the glass gets pulled. I'll mention again, those hatches with glass in are heavy (and awkward) to pick up.

Anyhow, pictures: uuuuuhhhhh! yuck!
image.jpeg

All cut out:
image.jpeg

Tacked in new metal:
image.jpeg

All done:

Well, it is done, I even have a picture, but I can't get the stupid thing to download.:fuss:

So, in place of that, here's a pile of rust:
image.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Since I'm done fiddling with my new hatch for the weekend, I believe I'll finally modify the rearend today.

I intend to move the shock mounting holes over 1.5"s or so inboard.

I'll post pictures of my progress later. I'm not doing anything right now, other than to stare at the mounting points to figure out the most logical move next. Got to wait till 10:00 or so before I can break out the die grinder.

Got some figuring to do when it comes to the panhard bar. The mounting points for the braces are specific to places I modified. The frame rails that I narrowed, and after today, the lca mounts that I'll modify. Where there's a will, there's a way, huh there @madmike1157 ?

Since I'm done fiddling with my new hatch for the weekend, I believe I'll finally modify the rearend today.

I intend to move the shock mounting holes over 1.5"s or so inboard.

I'll post pictures of my progress later. I'm not doing anything right now, other than to stare at the mounting points to figure out the most logical move next. Got to wait till 10:00 or so before I can break out the die grinder.

Got some figuring to do when it comes to the panhard bar. The mounting points for the braces are specific to places I modified. The frame rails that I narrowed, and after today, the lca mounts that I'll modify. Where there's a will, there's a way, huh there @madmike1157 ?

Yep,...It's the 'Merican way.

Reactions: 1 users
Matter of fact, I had an entire motivational tirade pointed at RD's thread where he let a simple omission of a few holes in a lift plate stop him from dropping in his engine. But the "nice guy" fairy (the little white one that sits on your right shoulder) moved my finger, and caused it to disappear.....

I guess it just depends on how badly you want to get something done,....that "will" that creates the "way". When doing something that requires fabrication and forces you to consider HS mathematics (namely,...geometry here) testifies that some peoples will is a lot stronger than others.

Reactions: 2 users
What are you doin' there buddy?
The same thing I always do on Monday mornings,...(even the "Holiday" ones that the retail sector ignores).

Sitting here drinkin coffee, and eating Special K,....looking for the opportunity to either A answer a question about something I did wrong,.. or B, make arrogant comments about what other people are doing wrong,....I'll occasionally throw out words of encouragement to those that need it,....compliments to those that deserve it. Annddd...

Selflessly offer sniglets of my supreme wisdom to everybody, regardless of what they got goin on.

All before I got to get around and go do it all for real to the chosen few that don't mind payin 1200.00 a month for their full sized sedans.

That's what I'm doin there buddy.

Reactions: 1 user
The same thing I always do on Monday mornings,...(even the "Holiday" ones that the retail sector ignores).

Sitting here drinkin coffee, and eating Special K,....looking for the opportunity to either A answer a question about something I did wrong,.. or B, make arrogant comments about what other people are doing wrong,....I'll occasionally throw out words of encouragement to those that need it,....compliments to those that deserve it. Annddd...

Selflessly offer sniglets of my supreme wisdom to everybody, regardless of what they got goin on.

All before I got to get around and go do it all for real to the chosen few that don't mind payin 1200.00 a month for their full sized sedans.

That's what I'm doin there buddy.
lol

Alright, tell me what you think of that '83 t-top.

lol

Alright, tell me what you think of that '83 t-top.
Meh,......It's a tired little coupe with glass doors on the roof, that will require thousands of dollars, and an equal amount of time to make it into what you want. I see the current red car as your platform to having a truly awesome car (like the black one that is on my "Superstang" pedestal, owned by some mega anal guy on the upper east coast).
Adding another car divides those resources.

I know why you say that, but here's why I think you might be wrong Mike.

I've been rushing a bit on the red car because I need to get my truck to my son.

If I can get that thing running again with it's little v6, I give it to Andy, and then I ease up on the rush status of Doby.

When the red car is done, then I can hop on the '83. At that point, there is no real time schedule that has to be met.

I know why you say that, but here's why I think you might be wrong Mike.

I've been rushing a bit on the red car because I need to get my truck to my son.

If I can get that thing running again with it's little v6, I give it to Andy, and then I ease up on the rush status of Doby.

When the red car is done, then I can hop on the '83. At that point, there is no real time schedule that has to be met.

Great plan. Restoring a fox for your son is quick, easy, and painless!:rolleyes:

Great plan. Restoring a fox for your son is quick, easy, and painless!:rolleyes:
Baahaahaahaa! Who says it's for him?

With the '83, I just want to make it safe to drive till I can tear it apart like Doby. Andy gets to drive it till then. Then it's mine again.

There was always a thought during the building of Doby that I might give it to Andy as a graduation present. Something that would be fun, yet safe and durable at the same time.

With the '83, I just want to make it safe to drive till I can tear it apart like Doby. Andy gets to drive it till then. Then it's mine again.

There was always a thought during the building of Doby that I might give it to Andy as a graduation present. Something that would be fun, yet safe and durable at the same time.

True sign you love paint and body work- giving a V8 5 speed car to a teenager :)

You don't plan on putting a power adder or large Cid in it do you? I can attest to the fact the paltry 225hp factory WILL get away from him.

You don't plan on putting a power adder or large Cid in it do you? I can attest to the fact the paltry 225hp factory WILL get away from him.
Actually, it's up around 350 at the crank. The engine is already rebuilt.

No power adder as of now. The red car will be mine for a little while, going to mustang week next year.

For $1K, I say grab it, sit on it, continue as planned with Doby and your truck for your kiddo. Wouldnt risk a teen wrecking what appears to be a super straight platform for a "dream build" of yours. It may not be fast, but I bet the brakes on it are a joke, and beg for rear ending or not slowing quick enough for a curve in the road. Seeing what youre doing with Doby while "in a hurry," that '83 could be a super rare show car down the road... That is just my thinking.

Edit: Dave, with your skill level and a couple/few years, that '83 could be a magazine car. Thats all I mean.