Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

• Sponsors (?)

You did a killer job on yours. It looks great! I was thinking of going with a Scarlett red w/ anthracite grey "decals". What shade is yours?
I know this is going to sound lame, but it's just a medium grey I picked out of the color deck at work (I paint cars for a living). The body color is 3R1, it's a Toyota color I've seen on newer Lexus' I have painted. I really like it a lot. It's the deepest red pearl color I've painted lately that isn't a three stage paint job. It looks just spectacular in the sun.
The paint on GT decal was made by using a stencil on the original decal and transferring it back to the hood after the bodywork was done on it. So it's pretty much an exact match dimensionally.
Look up that paint code online, you'll see some cars with that paint on them. I forgot the name that it was given.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking forward to your progress on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I'll be doing update posts on the other thread I didn't mean to start on this build, btw. It's called Pictures of My '86 GT T-top. Sorry about the screw up. If I can figure out how to transfer this thread over to that one, I will.

Ok... I found 3 of your threads that were all about the same car so I put them together.

You should be good to go now. The individual posts are arranged in the chronological order in which they were made, regardless of which forum or thread that they were initially posted.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok... I found 3 of your threads that were all about the same car so I put them together.

You should be good to go now. The individual posts are arranged in the chronological order in which they were made, regardless of which forum or thread that they were initially posted.
Thanks a bunch for the help, makes a cohesive thought now.

I know this is going to sound lame, but it's just a medium grey I picked out of the color deck at work (I paint cars for a living). The body color is 3R1, it's a Toyota color I've seen on newer Lexus' I have painted. I really like it a lot. It's the deepest red pearl color I've painted lately that isn't a three stage paint job. It looks just spectacular in the sun.
The paint on GT decal was made by using a stencil on the original decal and transferring it back to the hood after the bodywork was done on it. So it's pretty much an exact match dimensionally.
Look up that paint code online, you'll see some cars with that paint on them. I forgot the name that it was given.

I'll be looking forward to it too. Beautiful colors! Can't wait to see the finished product. Post more pics!

I'll be looking forward to it too. Beautiful colors! Can't wait to see the finished product. Post more pics!
I don't have a whole lot more right now. This Saturday we will put the brakes on the rear end and new brake lines on it and hook it up to the trailing arms so it can be a roller. Probably hook up the e-brake just so we can stop it from rolling.
Then we'll push it on a trailer and haul it to my brother's body shop to do two or three hours finishing sanding, clean it up and we'll push it in the paint booth and I'll shoot it.
We're going to hang the doors and fenders off the car so I can shoot it all (jambs and outside) all at once.
It's supposed to be sunny through most of the day Sunday, so I will definitely post pictures of it out in the sun. It's a sparkly, deep color. Pretty as can be.
A paint booth with a bake cycle is a good thing! I have to trailer it and bring it back to Tulsa Sunday. I wonder if I can get my wife to help me push it into the garage? LOL
I'll see if I got a few more to post.

More pictures, the good,bad, and the ugly. image.jpeg The old cradle will be out before the engine goes in, I have it, just been too busy. image.jpeg image.jpeg I can't get the second picture to be right side up, soooo. What a lovely steering wheel, you must be thinking,yup. Sure looks dirty, doesn't it? It'll be much cleaner prior to me painting it this Sunday. She's dirty down deep inside! I will go take one picture in my garage of some of the pieces, quite a pile of crap, eh? I've got one month to make that pile of crap into a beautiful fox interior. I can do it. The new headliner can't be bought till the beginning of January though. Stinking Christmas is getting in the way. I don't know where my wife's priorities are!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 228
Reactions: 1 users
More pictures, the good,bad, and the ugly. image.jpeg The old cradle will be out before the engine goes in, I have it, just been too busy. image.jpeg image.jpeg I can't get the second picture to be right side up, soooo. What a lovely steering wheel, you must be thinking,yup. Sure looks dirty, doesn't it? It'll be much cleaner prior to me painting it this Sunday. She's dirty down deep inside! I will go take one picture in my garage of some of the pieces, quite a pile of crap, eh? I've got one month to make that pile of crap into a beautiful fox interior. I can do it. The new headliner can't be bought till the beginning of January though. Stinking Christmas is getting in the way. I don't know where my wife's priorities are!

I like the seats!

I think Ford called those seats "articulated sport bucket seats". Same seats in my '86 GT hatchback. Best seats I've ever used. My '95 Cobra seats don't even compare.

image.jpeg
I had a few minutes at work, so I thought I would open the cover where the heater core is to see how dirty it was inside. I think I'm glad I ordered a new heater core! I also ordered a new ac evaporator coil and a fan resistor for the box. Time to wait for packages. BTW, should that insulation be stuffed there in the corner next to where the core goes?

Last edited:
image.jpeg
I had a few minutes at work, so I thought I would open the cover where the heater core is to see how dirty it was inside. I think I'm glad I ordered a new heater core! I also ordered a new ac evaporator coil and a fan resistor for the box. Time to wait for packages. BTW, should that insulation be stuffed there in the corner next to where the core goes?

do yourself a favor and only get a FOMOCO replacement heater core, and also install the restrictor in the return line. I 'd remove that insulation and lay down a sheet of foam HVAC insulation

@Davedacarpainter

I have some serious love for 86' T-top cars. They are worth the work to restore. I'll be following your build and looking forward to seeing it finished. When I paint I usually use PPG but now that's gets hard to find at the local auto body supply shops so when I smoothed my engine bay I used Valspar and it was actually OK. In the spring when I do some paint on my Hatch I'll try harder to get me some PPG again.

Like everything else, I get started on something intending to do just one or two things, then I think,"while I'm there......". So I was just going to clean the heater box, then while I'm there I should put in the new heater core. Okay, the ac evaporator. Alright, new gaskets and foam. Now I figure those thirty year old actuators need to go. Got to find them though. I found one that's NOS, need to find the rest. Anyone got ideas on the vacuum line for the box?