Progress Thread My 1991 Gt Convertible

ordered the output shaft seal and a new seal for the diff cover. Might as well take care of some basic maintenance while I have it up on jack stands.

I bought the car with non-functional power seats. So while I am waiting for the seal/gasket, I figured that I would take a look at that. Although it looks like a highly trained electrician :/ had done a little work under the seat, the wiring fell apart in my hands. Yeah, typical. I bought a set of standard sliders a few weeks back and installed them in place of the power rack. I don't really care for the power seats, I don't move the seat around much and I don't offer up my car to others very often, so there is no need for it. Might as well save the 5 pounds. I also found that the previous owner lost the rear bolts that hold the seat in place. So he put a smaller nut/bolt combo in place on one side and left the other side without anything. Anyone have a spare couple of bolts?

This is what comes off of the harness under the seat (it was wrapped in electrical tape for all the good it helped):
20151208_191345.jpg

It looks like the base was modified for some reason (shrug):
20151208_191445.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I checked all of the hardware under the car that I previously touched, got the transmission rear output seal installed, bolted in the drive shaft, installed the exhaust, removed and replaced the rear differential cover. It was leaking because a previous owner didn't use a gasket, just sealant. That has been corrected. I also capped off the wires for the power seat and installed the seat and the trim that I removed previously. All that's left is to replace the fuel filter, fill the rear with gear oil & friction modifier and fill the transmission. Then I can get it off of the jack stands and do some donuts before I move on to the next project.

While I had the diff cover off, I checked the axle tag.I knew what it was, but was still disappointed to confirm it. The codes are as follows:

2L73 88 1819

2L273 = 2.73:1 axle ratio

88 = 8.8 ring gear

1819 = 1991 (1) August (8) 19th {19)

Yesterday I filled the rear diff with gear oil and friction modifier, filled the transmission with Dexron Mercon and changed out the fuel filter. I attached the battery and closed the hood, which of course didn't latch until I pushed down on it. I then checked to make sure was closed and took it out to check out the new clutch. The car ran good, the clutch broke in quickly and then I took it outside of the neighborhood to get on it a little. Unfortunately it didn't shift into second gear smoothly under full power and then at about sixty miles per hour, whoop-bam! The damn hood slammed into the windshield. It hit so hard that it bent over the header and smacked me on the top of the head! Luckily there was noone coming the opposite way and I was able to slow down and pullover. I got the hood latched and drove slowly home. That sucked! My neck was pretty sore, but seems to be better today. I took the hood off and cleaned the garage out. It really blows that the car tried to kill me and now I have to spend who knows how much on getting the cowl replaced, but at least I didn't get seriously hurt and the car is very salvageable. Looks I will be running hood-less for a few months.

Last edited:
I was wondering how the hood hit you until I saw the pictures. My latch on my 90 vert is kinda messed up so I have to drop the hood so it closes. Maybe i should look into some pins :confused:

Wow this is seriously making me rethink about getting hood pins on my vert.
Yeah, that could've gone really bad there, glad you're ok. I'm surprised the windshield did not shattered too.

and that is why I ALWAYS put pins on my fiberglass hoods. I don't care how many people tell me they never used them or that is is silly/ I had a hood come up on me as well and damaged my cowl when the latch failed.

Reactions: 1 users