my bullit intake exploded on the dyno today...

LS2 KLR

Apr 16, 2003
Houston, TX
I've been running my setup for a few years with no issues. I had to get a new computer and my tune tweaked earlier. After a couple of passes na we activated the nitrous. The first pull went fine but needed some tuning. With the nitrous system still armed, the tuner went to start the car. It was trying but no luck. Suddenly the intake exploded and pieces covered the shop as far as 30ft away. There was also a small fire that had to be put out.

I sat there in shock but we were very lucky no one was close to the car. Soon afterwards neighboring business employees came over to see what was going on. My ears hurt for awhile afterwards.

We're not too sure what actually caused the explosion. We checked to see if the noids were leaking by but it they didn't appear to be? I had quite a bit of money in my intake as it was extrude honed and coated on the outside. My hood is pretty screwed obviously but called my painter and said he would take care of it for me if it was fixable. Unfortunately I had my video camera in my hand but wasn't filming at the time.

nosboom4.jpg

nosboom1.jpg

nosboom3.jpg

nosboom2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

if all controls were taken and established, everything was in working order, and the graphs of the previous run were in limits of a "tuning session", the nitrous company should have to do something about this. its a reminder to me every few months why im not going to run nitrous, ok now somebody tell me all about a "safe" setup, i know, i just dont get it but we all know that nobody gonna do jack about it so ill stay n/a. sorry to hear that man, what's the plan btw? not much we can really tell you

The lower is screwed as well. The car wasn't starting for some reason and it blew while he was trying. They're gonna pull off the valve covers to make sure everything else is fine. My buddy blew two bullit intakes trying to run a single fogger 200 shot and both times his motor was fine. Let's hope I'm as lucky.

Looks like your nitrous soleniod may have stuck open, filled the motor with nitrous and exploded at the first sign of spark:( Sorry to hear this, you've had good luck with it so far. :nonono: Good luck getting it going again:nice:

Wow sorry to hear of your loss that sucks. :nonono:
Yes, at least no one was injured thank God.
What intake manifold do you plan on replacing it with? P-51?
Is your hood ruined too?
Just hope nothing else was damaged internally.

like above said i believe if you accidentally release nitrous into the intake before the car starts it can cause explosion.

I had a nos 5115 kit on my car for a while and the first warning in the book says

-do not attempt to start engine if nitrous has been injected while the engine was not runing. Disconnect coil wire and turn motor with throttle wide open for several revolutions before attempting to start. Pailure to do so can result in an engine explosion.

that sounds like what happened...i would check with your tuner because it sounds like there was improper use on his part...maybe accidentally activating the solenoids while the car was off?

I rode beside a Triangle Speed Shop explorer/expedition this week..I'm curious if thats who came down to do your tuning for you? Where are you getting dyno/tuned at and mind sharing some basic rates :shrug:

Sorry about your luck man, though you'll get to upgrade due to it so in the long run everything will be fine :nice:

It looks like the hood can be fixed but won't know until I have it looked at. Another variable was that on the nitrous pull the throttle body stuck open when it hit the clamp on the t-body though my nitrous is activated by a switch on the pedal:shrug: I get around 220rwhp out of my shot so I'd say its a 225. I had alot of customizing done to get the bullit to work with the nozzle kit so I'll be getting a regular bullit in its place. I get my car tuned by G-Force and they told me they would cover any labor but I have to buy the parts.

Well best of luck to you and your future rebuild. I assume you plan on upgrading so the car will be even more of a beast once it returns :nice:

:offtopic: send me a pm if you have close relations with Gforce and could possibly give me some information on pricing :rlaugh:

It looks like the hood can be fixed but won't know until I have it looked at. Another variable was that on the nitrous pull the throttle body stuck open when it hit the clamp on the t-body though my nitrous is activated by a switch on the pedal:shrug: I get around 220rwhp out of my shot so I'd say its a 225. I had alot of customizing done to get the bullit to work with the nozzle kit so I'll be getting a regular bullit in its place. I get my car tuned by G-Force and they told me they would cover any labor but I have to buy the parts.
The best of luck with your build up. :nice: