My car is in peices.....

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
The rear end mainly. I finally got around to doing my gears.

First off, I dont see what the big fuss is about, just take your time and follow directions (find some good ones first lol)

And rebuilding the trac lok took like 15-20 minutes total.

We had to stop early because we put the pinion bearing on and didnt shim it right, and not one single parts store around here has a bearing puller that will fit it. So tomorrow we have to go to some guys shop so he can pull it off. Then all we have left to do is put it together, check the wear pattern, etc. put it back in.

Hopefully we get it done tomorrow because if we dont then Ill have to finish it by myself. But we should finish.

Right now I have a "loaner" vehicle. An '89 Ranger with a 302 and a top loader 4 speed to be exact. lol
I wish it still had that 331 stroker in it. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Just please tell me you checked the backlash on the factory gears, prior to pulling it apart? I think that's one of the most critical steps to setting the new ones correctly.

The rear end mainly. I finally got around to doing my gears.

First off, I dont see what the big fuss is about, just take your time and follow directions (find some good ones first lol)

And rebuilding the trac lok took like 15-20 minutes total.

We had to stop early because we put the pinion bearing on and didnt shim it right, and not one single parts store around here has a bearing puller that will fit it. So tomorrow we have to go to some guys shop so he can pull it off. Then all we have left to do is put it together, check the wear pattern, etc. put it back in.

Hopefully we get it done tomorrow because if we dont then Ill have to finish it by myself. But we should finish.

Right now I have a "loaner" vehicle. An '89 Ranger with a 302 and a top loader 4 speed to be exact. lol
I wish it still had that 331 stroker in it. :)

Your not done yet, let us know how it turns out and sounds when your done. Not only is backlash important but so is bearing preload, if you get it to tight your bearings will wear out fast. I think it will turn out okay, good luck.

Its fun in a straight line. But it shifts hard, and doesnt handle too well around curves. But it does have 275's out back, and like 195's up front. Its pretty quick, not as fast as it was though.

yes its very easy to do.

first time: 3 hours
second time: 2.5 hours
third time: 2 hours
fourth time: 1.75 hours
fifth time: 1.5 hours
sixth time: 1 hour
seventh time: 45 minutes
eigth time: 30 minutes
ninth time: 30 minutes
tenth time: 30 minutes

nobody told me about the little things like the way to achieve proper bearing preload, or to check pattern/ backlash/ bearing preload, until after I ruined the set(not really but they whine all the time thats when you know you messed up.)