my car now slips the clutch just romping on it. need suggestions

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
yesterday me and a friend were tinkering and tuning my car out on some backroads.

starting at 3k in 2nd, floored it, buried the tach spinning the tires, a hard shift to 3rd, buried the tach again spinning, a hard shift to 4th, buried the tach again.

i thought to myself surely it couldnt spin them like that in 4th (was just banging gears spinning tires, wasnt actually going that fast, so it should have bogged down if the clutch grabbed) then about that time i got a good whiff of burning clutch.

its not a 100% super duper slipping feel, the car still pulls hard just the clutch cant seem to hold it.

the clutch is a almost new FRPP HD clutch, put it in last fall and it doesnt even have like 500 miles i think.

if i roll into the throttle and granny shift it will hold pretty good, but if i can get it to slip like that just paying around on bald street tires, i cant imagine trying to launch the car at the track at 5k+ on slicks like i normally do.

so it looks like i need a new clutch, i need something with alot more holding power than stock, but i dont want some super duty race clutch that will make the car less fun to drive. a stiffer pedal is expected but you guys know what i am looking for.

some say the FRPP HD was supposed to be stiff but on my car its super soft feeling.

• Sponsors (?)

Spec 2+ or 3. Ur clutch is done. Best test is to go out with it in 3rd just cruising, romp on it. Watch ur tach and speedo, if the tach rises w/o the speedo moving then ur clutch is done. IF both rise, then ur just making chit loads of power and need better tires. Good luck.

after i initially slipped it when flooring it and shifting hard. i took it into 3rd and eased into it and it wasnt spinning tires that way and it sure didnt feel like it was slipping then, pulled great. i havent tried the low rpm test yet. may try it today.

regardless i think a stronger clutch kit is a better idea. also a good time to fix a small oil leak i think i have down there and probably get a nice flywheel.
its always something though lol the car always has to break or require some sort of modification to handle more power etc etc

its great having tons of power but i really do miss the old stock motor bolt days running in the 14s, not as fast but the car was still super fun to drive and doesnt require the time and work getting every little thing lined out.

oh well its all fun and a learning expierence.

At least u've been able to make a pass with urs.. Mine keeps requiring attention and hasn't made it to the track yet not to mention no time slips..... Good luck.
hehe i havent made it to the track this seaon yet actually. i am still trying to tune the car and get her dialed in with the tweecer. it was just needing tuned and tires, now i need to add a better clutch to the list lol

Dual Frictions suck, had two of them one was junk in about 3000 miles and the other was about 1500. Your car has the potential to make a lot of power, go with a ram 900 series. I did a lot of research because I didn't want to spend the money for awhile again. They are rated for 600 or 650 ft/lbs cant remember. So far I love mine.