My cheap-o 86

Mach1Run

Jun 25, 2004
Wylie, Texas
I have been looking for a fox roller for about a year now on the local boards and most of them are in the 1500+ range, but last monday I found a 1986 Vert with a c4 tranny and a non running 289 in it for $300. I figured for that price if I managed to blow it to pieces in the driveway I could live with it lol. It is pretty rough but most of the interior is close to intact even though the canvas will need to be replaced. Ideally I would love to pull the 289 and put a 302 back in then do a 5 lug conversion. I need advice on how to proceed. My feeling is that I need to wheel it into the garage and take the motor, wiring, and interior out first and do the body work. Then worry about rewiring the car and dropping a new / rebuilt 302 in it. Anyone have any advice and or experience with something like this? Like good places to get fox parts or information on rebuilding them would be great. I can't wait to get started but I want to do it the easier way the first time rather than the hard way. :)

Heh I have only had it a week and as soon as the wife found out it didnt run she wanted me to sell it lol, wait till she finds out I plan on putting it in the garage ...

GT01small.jpg

GT02small.jpg

GT03small.jpg

GT04small.jpg

GT05small.jpg

GT06small.jpg

GT07small.jpg

GT08small.jpg

GT09small.jpg

GT10small.jpg

GT11small.jpg

GT12small.jpg

GT13small.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Halos... GT on the side molding.. 4cyli front bumper? (No Foglight Holes).. At 1st I would of said 4cyli conversion.. but I see the GT Interior and the GT on the molding.. but now theres the 4banger front bumper.. Hmm

No idea what it was originally, though I would suspect a GT. I think I am the 4th or 5th owner at the least. Is pulling the motor and doing the body / engine bay work first the way to go? And how hard is it to do the rewiring, looking though it some more it looks like there are some places in the harness that the wires have either been snipped or broken. This is going to be my first go at a rebuild so it should be interesting. Maybe it will be driveable by the time my son can drive .... 13 years from now. :)