my first car?

dash77

Dec 13, 2004
Hey,

Im trying to pick out my first car, and am dying for a mustang, but my dad is not moving on the fact he wants me to have all wheel drive (we live in albany ny). I was looking on autotrader a couple days ago and saw like 10 mustangs with awd, and was wondering if anyone had heard of such a thing. My guess is its some chick who doesnt know her car

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

thats right, i regret to inform you that the mustang has never come in AWD, it is still RWD like the day it was born... i live in Danbury CT, in all respects you are more north than us, but it all depends on your commute, during the winter, my mother always tries to make me go 'through danbury' rather than the backroads i always take... throw some blizzaks on your mustang and be careful on the throttle and you really should'nt have a problem in snow... as for a good all wheel drive vehicle... i guess nowerdays its an option on some vehicles... i had always liked subaru in respects of AWD... if your dad wont buy you a mustang get him to buy you a nice new subie (lol) so long as you promise us not to rice it out =D

how much are you looking to spend on a car?? My other car is a Sube (but it needs a tranny...stupid automatic transmissions). Subaru is the way to go with AWD...but i recommend a manual tranny. i wish i got money for everytime i get asked if my car is RWD...especially when people are surprised when i say yes.

As a new driver, you'll be asking for trouble driving a Mustang in the winter! Like others said, if you have to have a Mustang, get one with a t-lock, traction control, and ABS.

A much better choice would be a Focus. Front wheel drive, easier on gas, you can still add some performance mods, and it's cheaper to insure!

yeah i have been looking at some subarus, im also thinking now maybe about an eagle talon? Im sure the tires would make the driving fine but my dad wont buy it... no stang for me

Eagle Talons and other DSM's are very problematic. If you're going to get AWD, get a decent Subaru or something. Non turbo would probably be your best bet at this point. Maybe a 2.5 RS or something.

i'd stay away from awd alltogether if its your first car and all. you want to keep repair costs down and just the cost of owning the vehicle down.
get a civic and drive it like a regular average joe. you'll thank yourself for doing so later on when you decide to sell the car off knowing that you lost very little in depreciation and that you barely spent any money in repairs.

like an 01 civic is very reasonably priced and has depreciated very signifcantly by now. its FWD meaing you'll get better traction in snow. not as good as AWD, but millions of ppl use FWD in winter and they do fine. and they're great fuel misers both for city driving and highway.

it may not be a performance car of any sort, but if you just want a good depdnable car that looks decent and is cheap to own, a civic will make you happy. the new ones have very good styling inside and out.

Well.....in all honesty, it doesn't snow too much in the Seattle area, but when it did...I would not drive the stang the 98 V6(found other methods of getting to places), driving a RWD with out a trac lok, doesn't make much sense. You rely on ONE wheel to grip. Traction control helps you prevent spinning, but it's not like driving an AWD vehicle. I don't plan to drive the GT in snow, but I honestly would probably feel better driving that car in the snow then the 98 V6. Posi differential, traction control, ABS, guess usually alittle wider tire (eventhough they are street tires). But.....don't let "driving in the snow" stop your decision of car choice unless you live in a snow infested area for months. Just get the car you want, and take the bus..get a ride from family or friends, drive the parents car, or just buy some FWD beater car for like 500 bucks then either keep it, sell it or donate it when you are done.

relocation!

yeah, i've heard driving rwd in the snow sucks... but man don't change your car!

change your climate!!!! :nice:

i am moving down to miami to go to school in 2 weeks, just bought my first mustang today! i had to wait... years... unfortunately... to get out of CT.

but if you don't wanna move across the country, then i guess a winter beater is the way to go.

Hate to tell you this we own an 01 Civic, it's the wife's and isn't the best in the snow, frankly it's to low to the ground and too light! The car is bone stock, and nothing fancy, LX-G (4door auto). You get 6inches of snow, and the car will ride in the ruts until it gets hung up. I had a Gutlass Cutlass last winter and never got stuck (Ontario Winter's).

STM1965 said:
Hate to tell you this we own an 01 Civic, it's the wife's and isn't the best in the snow, frankly it's to low to the ground and too light! The car is bone stock, and nothing fancy, LX-G (4door auto). You get 6inches of snow, and the car will ride in the ruts until it gets hung up. I had a Gutlass Cutlass last winter and never got stuck (Ontario Winter's).

It's probably due to wimpy skinny tires, ever think about studded tires? Might be a wise investment if you have snowy winters.

98V6 K.I.T.T. said:
It's probably due to wimpy skinny tires, ever think about studded tires? Might be a wise investment if you have snowy winters.

The car actually rides along until enough snow gets under it and gets stuck, the skinny tires lose contact with the ground, front stock fairing peice acts like a little snow plow, the car is just to low & light. I think the car's riding on P 185 65 13's, which is what the factory calls for.