My first race in our GT

Cobra Jay

Apr 7, 2004
Motor City
Just thought I'd share my first street race with you all.

The other night after work at around 11 p.m. I decided to take the wifes GT out for a trip to the car wash and go do a little Hunting since it was a nice night out. :) After I washed her car I hit the E-way to dry it off and went out looking for a race. Suprisingly, there wasn't much out that night. I saw a 93 GT but he had skinnies up front and cheeter slicks out back and it sounded like it was well warmed over so I figured I'd save the gas and embarresment and just drove on. a little while later along comes a early 70's T/A. I think it was either a 71 to 73 White and Blue SD455 4Spd. It was either origional or totally restored and looked Bad A$$! Anyway, we both finally got to a red light and he reved it up and looked over at me and pointed as if to say lets go. I just kind of laughed 'cause to tell you the truth I figured I had no chance in hell against that BB Poncho with a stock 4.6L convertible with just a K&N. He reved it again so I figured what the hell, it sounded pretty much stock. When the light turned green though he just kind of eased off the clutch and just let her roll out so I figure he didn't want to run, so I just did the same. Then he goosed it and then I saw he just didn't want to go from a dead stop. We were at like a 5 to 10 roll and I nodded and he hammered it. He kind of got a jump on me 'cause I was waiting for a nod back, but I dumped the clutch and hammered away too. Naturally he pulled about half a car on me at first, but when I hit 2nd I was right back in it. When I hit 3rd I pulled about half a car on him and then some. I looked down and realized we were almost approaching the century mark then we both let off. Holy Crap I thought. I can't believe I actually beat him after getting such a bad start. I slowed down to about 25 and tried to get him to go again, but he wanted no more and hit the turn around. Needless to say I'm very pleased on the cars performance considering it's Stock (- the K&N). I would have loved to have a 4.10 gear. It would have been over before it even started.

• Sponsors (?)

98GTVortech said:
Congrats man.. If you thought it was safe then it probably was..

Like I said before, We were on a 4 lane 1 way after midnight with no other cars or people around. And FYI white99gt, I'm not some young punk kid( not saying you or anyone else on here is either, although there may be) out in daddys car tearing it up. I'm a grown man, with a family who's been driving for almost 16 years and street racing just as long. I wasn't out with a bunch of people and cars around on a small city street like you see on 20/20 or Nightline. I think I have brains enough to know what's safe and what's not. It was SAFE and it WAS WAY FUN. And YES I'LL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND........There I'm done b itching.