My GT500 is rusting and Ford doesn't care

GT500 Owner

Sep 9, 2009
I purchased my 2007 Shelby GT500 when it had 12,000 miles on it and was 1 year old. I keep it covered in the garage when I’m not using it. Currently has 21,000 miles on it. I noticed that the hood was starting to rust under the paint, apparently a month before the warranty was up. I had no idea that the warranty was up due to the fact that these cars normally have a 3 year warranty and it wasn’t even fully into it’s 2nd year. When I brought it in for service, I got an oil change and I let the service manager know about the rust. The dealership told me that the warranty had expired a month ago and that Ford wouldn’t cover the repair. I ten contacted the Ford headquarters numerous times, only to be cast aside ad told that it “wasn’t their problem.” I think its ridiculous to buy a $50,000 car and when it has a factory defect-which a Shelby expert told me the rust was-and the same thing has been a problem with Ford products in the passed (the same rusting happened to my 2004 Expedition’s aluminum hood and to my son’s 2006 Mustang). Ford told me that it wasn’t covered and they aren’t gonna fix it. Since it hasn’t rusted through and developed a hole, Ford claims that they aren’t responsible. Buyers beware, not only in purchasing newer Shelbys but Mustangs in general, due to mine and my son’s problem with rusting.

• Sponsors (?)

hmmmm

This is a long known problem....guess you should have joined the forums earlier....nice first post by the way. Why the heck would you buy a Mustang if you knew your sons had the "rust" problem that would prevent you from buying the car? If you can afford a GT500, spend 300.00 and get it fixed, its easier than trying to deal with Ford on an expired warranty.

This is a long known problem....guess you should have joined the forums earlier....nice first post by the way. Why the heck would you buy a Mustang if you knew your sons had the "rust" problem that would prevent you from buying the car? If you can afford a GT500, spend 300.00 and get it fixed, its easier than trying to deal with Ford on an expired warranty.

+1. Expired is expired. The 3 year 36,000 is from date of original sale when it was purchased new. Where in the country do you live??? I haven't seen any Mustangs rust up here in NYC area. Does your son cover his too? Perhaps you need car covers that breath better.

Sorry to hear that! My '06 stock hood was fine for the two+ years it was on there and it sits outside and is driven year round. I'd also pay the little bit of money and have it repaired and done right and not worry about messing with Ford on that. It does suck it happened so close to the warranty expiration period though:(

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but how does an ALUMINUM hood rust? I'm no chemistry major (lots of physics in high school and college), but rust is "ferrous oxide" and ferrous refers to iron (or steel). Aluminum doesn't rust. Is it a steel bracket or hinge attached to the hood that's rusting?

it's corrosion....and ford has a tsb out on it. Mine did it as well as a few local friends not to mention all the similar thread you read such as this one. Why would your warranty end if the car wasn't 3 years old nor reached 36k miles? As far as repairing after warranty, it has the be penetrating through the metal before they even attempt to look at it which would fall under the 5/60k mile warranty if I remember correctly. If it's still under warranty they are obligated to repair it.

Not to steal the OT"s thunder here but I noticed my door handle has lost its paint on the inside of the handle. It's back to being plastic black? Can I take that to Ford and have it fixed with the remainder of my bumper to bumper or am I going to get the shaft and have to fix it myself?

Thanks!

date of purchase

The warranty starts when the consumer buys the car. For example, you can buy a 2010 Mustang today, Sep 09, so in Sep 2012 the warranty will end.

Or you could have bought a used 2007 GT500 that was originally purchased in Aug of 2006.....which would now be out of warranty in Sep. 2009.

It is the date the vehicle is put into service. I get that. Just couldn't understand how a 2007 could already have been in service 36 months. I didn't think you could even get the car in August 2006. If it was put in service then, that's the answer.
I would always check the date the car was put in service when buying a used car. Essential information to have.

I purchased a 2001 Expedition brand new for my wife in Oct. of 01 and a year later it had corosion under the paint on the hood. I took it to the dealer and they repainted the hood. Well 12 months later the hood was having the same problem again. This time Ford replaced the hood and did not have any problems for the next year when we sold it. I was in warranty the whole time and ford did not give me any trouble at all. It is sucks that he was out of warranty because you could argue that the problem occured before the expiration of the warranty. Meaning it did not just occur over night is was brewing the whole time so to speak. Best of luck.

I think the warranty starts when you take delivery of vehicle.The corrosion warranty is 5years/100,000 miles which ever comes first,and it is on corrosion coming from the inside out.My father had an Explorer the started rusting on the drivers side rear quarter and the Ford dealer fixed it free of charge and gave him a rental car.The dealer will get alot of bad publicity by not fixing a car that cost that much money! I would stay on them until it is fixed right! Good luck