My headlights bulbs suck. Need new ones!!

SuperDust22

The Power of Pixie Dust?!
Oct 19, 2003
Gilbert,AZ
I have smoked headlights but I am running stock bulbs. The bulbs are so damn dim at light I can barely see in front of me. I can turn my brights on and cars coming won't even notice. What bulbs should I buy? I want them to be really bright. Some of the road I drive on at night are rough so I need good lighting. I don't want to spend a ton though. Does autozone carry anything good.

Dustin

• Sponsors (?)

Kevin R. said:
I think Silverstars are going to be the best bang for the buck, and you can get them at Autozone.

Not too cheap, but nice lights. :nice:

Which ones should I buy though. I don't want to get there and see ten different kinds. Also how much do they usally cost?

Dustin

I am afraid that any stock wattage bulbs are going to appear dim due to the smoked lights you have.

You would have to swap in brighter bulbs and do some heavier gauge rewiring (which can lead to issues like melted lenses, connectors, etc) or make other arrangements.

But let's hope those bulbs helped. Good luck.

BTW, I have some kind of clear aftermarket lights - the bulbs look like disco balls. I have no clue what I would need for those - I would like brighter bulbs myself.

They are suppose to much brighter than stock. And yes I went with the Silverstars. I don't know if they are going to be brighter yet. It is still light here. But when I did compart one stock to one silerstar it did look brighter.

Dustin

hope you're gonna post some before/after pics! i was gonna get some silverstars as well, but the smoked headlights i got came with bulbs already, so i'll just wait 'til those go out. what a world of difference over the stock headlights, though! i got the projectors (non-rice two-piece) but i'm probably gonna get some smoked cobra lights.

HISSIN50 said:
I am afraid that any stock wattage bulbs are going to appear dim due to the smoked lights you have.

You would have to swap in brighter bulbs and do some heavier gauge rewiring (which can lead to issues like melted lenses, connectors, etc) or make other arrangements.

But let's hope those bulbs helped. Good luck.

BTW, I have some kind of clear aftermarket lights - the bulbs look like disco balls. I have no clue what I would need for those - I would like brighter bulbs myself.

I havent checked what size wire is run to the lights but im guessing its 14 awg, which can handle 15 amps fine and no 2 light bulbs are gonna pull 15 amps or even anywheres close to that

Did you get the white ones? I sure hope so. The "cool blue" ones get on my nerves. When I see a car at night with those, it kinda tick's me off. I've ran the Sylvania Silverstars (white) in several different vehicles .... and I love them.

Guys, I was talking about him perhaps needing to upgrade to higher wattage (ergo higher amperage bulbs) to get the lumins through his smoked lenses.

The silverstars are DOT approved, same wattage bulbs as stockers - of course one does not need to upgrade the wiring.

TJH, Good luck running 200 watts worth of bulbs (common ebay specials) through the stock wiring. That was what I was talking about - I assume you were too. Considering the age, AWG and lengh of wire, I would personally NOT run any more wattage (amperage) through the wires than was done in stock form.

Just me.

Good luck.

PIAA makes a set of brilliant white ones which have the highest heat energy of a stock stylebulb

they are pricy too

silverstars come in a pack and are 35 bucks here

separately they are 20 a piece i believe