My LS1 Notch Project (DUW)

Numbles

Dec 10, 2003
Chicago, IL
I havent been active on the forums lately so I thought Id post a progress thread.

Ill post up a list of all the mods soon but Ill show some pics of the buildup first. And please. I already know there is a bowtie in the car. :flag: No need for flaming. So here they are.

First day of the teardown. I was oiginally doing a turbo so I started with a 5-lug swap. 95gt Rear End with disc brakes. 96+ Spindles. 04 Cobra brakes. I also did coilovers and CC plates at this time and tubular front control arms.
53183.jpg

53191.jpg

29928.jpg

32965.jpg

53175.jpg

53176.jpg

53182.jpg

Then there was the arrival of the LS1 and 6-speed complete with accesoories and PCM. The K-Member and new 95gt power steering rack showed up as well.
53186.jpg

53185.jpg

53184.jpg

53187.jpg

Then After some finess and a clearenced oil pan later we got the motor to sit in the bay. I upgraded to a 95gt master and booster as well. (Biggest PITA)
53178.jpg

53179.jpg

53180.jpg

And that all the pictures for now. Ill get some new pics as soon as I get new batteries for the digi camera.

I finally got to start the car last night about about 9pm. Hooked up the fuel system. Got the radiator in. All the lines hooked up and the exhaust on. It fired right up.

So As soon as I boorow a video camera we will have some vids up.

And thanks to the people who answered little questions here and there about fuel system stuff and what not.

Enjoy.

-Puts on flamesuit now- LOL

• Sponsors (?)

In the third picture down yould see a h/c/i stock bottom ended motor. Sold it all to pay for the ls1 and 6-speed.

The angine bay will be welded and painted soone enough but thats a project for next winter. I just want to enjoy the car for a summer before I start getting into painting anything. Although I have since painted the mirrors and trim pieces since these pictures have been taken.

I have a cam ready to go in. Im just trying to figure out what heads to go with.

Flavadave4 said:
yeah whats to like about a rev happy aluminum v8:shrug:

I guess I'm just a traditionalist. I like to see a Ford with a Ford motor. Transplant a Chevy motor, and you end up with a Chord or a Fhevy (which is really hard to say).

But that's just me and my opinion. I won't hate on someone else because they wanted to try something different.

mgwshel said:
I guess I'm just a traditionalist. I like to see a Ford with a Ford motor. Transplant a Chevy motor, and you end up with a Chord or a Fhevy (which is really hard to say).

But that's just me and my opinion. I won't hate on someone else because they wanted to try something different.

What if I were to put a 2jz-gte in. LOL It think I just found my next project.

Congrats!
you've now created what we call a "panzy car" it couldn't cut it in the real street with what it had so you ran to the opposition.. i don't hate it.. but i dont love it.. so yes.. yes i do not like it..

I think it's cool no matter what. At least your still driving a fox and not a slowmaro. LS1's are badass motors though , and with a cam and some headers you'll be making like 400 hp.

So what k-member did you use? Was it specifically for the swap or did you have to modify? What about the driveshaft and the ecu , how did those hook up? Basically give us some more details and keep us posted on your progress.

I used a PA-Racing k-member with chevy mounts. I had to have the oil pan notched by S&P. I also had to lower the rack with steeda aluminum rack bushing.

The ecu harness is almost a standalone harness. There are 3 connectors with the power wires. The 4 pink wire are switched 12v wires and there is one 12v orange wire that you give constant power to. And the motor will start. Only thing is, is you have extra connectors hanging off the harness. But I took the time to delete all the egr and a/c clips so its all cleaned up.

For the driveshaft I just had a 27spline yoke put on it. (If I remember right) The ds was a custom one from a local shop for my tko. It was the right size with the 6-speed so they just put the new yoke on for me.

For the fuel pump I just got a painless wiring fuel pump relay. The 93lx's dont have a relay under the drivers seat. Spliced into the power wire right before the inerta switch. And the fuel pump works with the ignition. I didn't want to let the pcm turn it on because thats one less thing to chase down if there was a problem with the pcm.

The trans crosmember I took out of where it normally mounted and moved it to the back side of where the body mount is. The added another bracket to the back side. The crossmember raises the trans too much so I had to notch it and add some 1/4" steel to button it up.

Because of the k-member I used I had to raise the motor 3/4" to clear the ps rack. And that is with the steeda aluminum rack bushing that I used to lower the rack .400. So I made some custom motor mount adapters and spacers to get the right height.

Other than that and finding some NGK-TR6's in the motor everything has gone smooth.

Also for the clutch which I used a Tilton Master Cylender with Turbocoupe pedals. The gm clutch slave uses a quick dissconnect that you can only get with a gm clutch master. So I picked one up off of ebay and cut the line and put a -4fitting on the hose end to get it to mate up with the Tilton clutch master. And the clutch is done.

For headers I used mac 1 3/4 long tubes for a 351. An ls1 is about the same deck height as a 351. I cut the flanges off and weldes some ls1 flanges on and they fit. I only needed to modify 2 tubes on the drivers side to fit but they worked great other then that.

For the power steering I just made a custom -4line with the right fittings from s&P. MM now sell the right fittings for mustang racks so it was all plug and play.

Thats all for now. If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask.

Alls I need to so is get a steering shaft from MM for the rack and Ill be driving.