My polyurethane bushing install results!!!

A couple days ago I got around to switching out a few of my old worn bushings for some polyurethane ones. I figured I would give you guys some part numbers and my results.

I had been getting some pretty bad squeaks and creaks from the front end. I got it when going over speed bumps, entering and exiting my driveway, and even just pulling away from the curb at times. I searched around and most people seemed to think it was a ball joint issue. While I considered this I wanted to start with the simple and cheap route. I hopped on stangsuspesion.com and started searching for bushings that would be simple to swap out. I finally decided on ordering sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, and steering rack bushings. Though Stang Suspensions website was more helpful than summits (And had better pictures), it could not compare to Summit's pricing. i went with a combination of Energy Suspension and Prothane products. Both had different items I wanted and Prothane's pricing seemed a bit better for a similar product. Here is a list of the parts I ordered.

Rack and Pinion Bushing: ENS-4-10103G

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ENS%2D4%2D10103G&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Swaybar End-links: PTP-19-416-BL

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PTP%2D19%2D416%2DBL&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Front Sway Bar Bushing Kit: PTP-6-1137-BL

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=PTP-6-1137-BL&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+0

Following the installation of these parts I immediately noticed a difference. The steering wheel has less play, there is less body roll, and it seems to be a bit more predictable in turns. And again, this isn't one of those things that you swap and think, "Yeah...I think I can feel a difference." When I drove this the first time, I KNEW there was a difference. I think the sway bar end links probably made the biggest difference of the three parts in tightening things up. Regardless, I am thoroughly impressed with the benefits I got for around $44.80 shipped to my front door.

In addition, all of my creaks and squeaks from the front suspension are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were driving me crazy so I couldn't be happier :) :) :)

I have since ordered some some strut tower bushings: ENS-4-7114G

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ENS%2D4%2D7114G&N=700+4294798780+4294907673+115&autoview=sku

I can't wait to see the difference that makes. For any of you that feel like your steering is getting sloppy or loose I can assure you that you will be happy with the results of switching to new polyurethane instead of 12 year old rubber bushings.
- Justin

• Sponsors (?)

Justin, I have the same stuff pretty much (but no Prothane). It's cool that you felt a nice difference. :nice:

Send the strut bushings back if you plan on doing CC plates any time soon.

Offset rack bushings on a stock k-member are bad. MM's website has a really good explination of this. If bumpsteer is an issue get a bumpsteer kit. The tierod ends on the bumpsteer kits are great too (spherical rod ends instead of the ball and socket crap). And for rack bushings I would skip poly alltogether and get MM's aluminum ones. I notice no noise or harshness from them but feedback is amazing.

I have a bumpsteer kit, alum. rack bushings, and a solid steering shaft and even on a 155k mi. steering rack the steering is razor sharp. It is incomparable even to a new stang. The best way I can describe it is:drool: .

heres my question, can I use the offset polyurethane bushings even though my steering/suspension are stock. I am just interested because I see that it helps with bumpsteer a bit and its red, lol. So I would like to get these.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925130+4294839050+4294881600+115&autoview=sku

The offset steering rack bushings should only be used if the suspension has been lowered by at least 1-1/4". Otherwise you should use the standard bushings.
I recently had the outer and inner tie rod ends on both sides replaced, and had Energy Suspension urethane steering rack bushings (from their master kit) installed. I used the standard ones 'cause my Stang's only lowered by 1". These eliminated the bumpsteer completely, and cured the problem that I had with the car pulling to the left under braking.
I then had the Energy Suspension urethane swaybar end links installed and these noticeably reduced body roll. The ES swaybar bushings themselves are going on next (they come as a separate kit from the master bushing kit).

I've been meaning to do this. How hard was the install and what tools were needed?

The install was a extremely easy. But you must realize that I did this on a lift at a dealership with about $50,000 in Snap On tools by my side. Even in your garage on a floor jack it should be pretty straight forward. The only part I would have seen myself having trouble with at home was the lack of clearance for the rack. I pushed the motor up a little bit when doing the rack bushings so the rack had some more clearance. But it's a really easy job.

Send the strut bushings back if you plan on doing CC plates any time soon.

I don't really have any plans of putting CC plates on. My biggest concern when doing this was the creaks and squeaks I had. I just figured for an extra $20 why not throw on the the strut bushings too.

I did that and felt no difference at all. Maybe your bushing were more wron than mine. :shrug:

Given the loud creaks I had, they were clearly worn excessively. You could be right.

heres my question, can I use the offset polyurethane bushings even though my steering/suspension are stock. I am just interested because I see that it helps with bumpsteer a bit and its red, lol. So I would like to get these.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925130+4294839050+4294881600+115&autoview=sku

From all my research before doing this, I found the others comments to be spot on. Unless your car is dropped a lot you would not benefit from offset bushings. In fact it may even be a hindrance.

One of the suprises to me while doing this is there were Energy Suspension polyurethane offset rack bushings already on my car (Must have been put on by the previous owner because I never put them on) This may have impacted my results if they were hindering me in any way. Besides the little I read about them I'm not to well versed on the subject though.

- Justin

My inner and outer tire rods, along with a new steering shaft, firewall bearing, and struts solved my 96 Cobras sloppy steering and crappy ride. MY car is like new again!!

gonna bring this one back from the dead. I plan on doing this seeing how the symptons explained are the ones I'm getting. I have Eibach sportlines so should I use the offset bushings. Also should I use the aluminum rack bushings.