My spit & sputtering problem?????

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
Ok i posted a month or so ago about my 92 4 banger spit & sputtering. Well i drove it today and it did it really bad! I havent drove the car in awhile cause i've been driving my other coupe to break in the clutch. So i was out and it ran fine as always then the tach started to ficker and flutchuate, started to run crappy spit and sputtering like it was out off timming no gas no spark something to that extent. Then the tach read normal ran just fine? I shut it off got to were i was going got back in (about 10 min later) started it ran like crap tach not reading right. All the way home ran like crap, idols like crap. So i get out with it running pulled the wires off the side of the exhust ( front coil pack) and it didnt change and there was NO spark! Pulled off the electrical connector on that coil pack and same thing no change at all!I then taped on the grey box on the intake (i assume it's the ign control mod?) it say's DIS on it started to run fine. Then went to running ****ty with in like 30sec. So what could it be? I did pull the codes a couple months ago and it gave me i beleive a 90 code? My CEL IS ON BECAUSE IT HAS A T5 SWAP THOSE CODES ARE FOR THE TRANNY SENCERS. When the problem occurs it's like it's missing really bad, also whats with the coil pack and plugs on the exhust side? peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

2 More things to add i had that box (DIS?) checked out and they said it was good a couple months ago they ran the test on it several times to get it hot. Also whatever code i was getting (90)? it says to contact dealer so i did and they said they dont know cause there books dont go back that far?! peace

I think you may have read your codes wrong. The 92 EEC uses 3 digit codes.

Also, you shouldn't have a CEL from the T5 swap. I did it in my '91 and never got a code.

Testing the DIS module is hit or miss. I've seen bad ones test good and good ones test bad.

If the module is truly good, there may be an issue with the crank sensor.

No i'm preatty shure it was a 90 something code, it was close to a code for O2's. So why 2 coil packs ? The wires on the exhust side did nothing wheni removed it, as well as the electrical connector? peace

Been there1

I had the same problem and it was the DIS module.
With my T-5 swap I pulled codes for the 3-4 shift solenoid and the torque converter lockup problem. Check engine light was intermittant.

I got a DIS from a PicknPull for $5 and all was well...until my fuel pump gave out!
But that is a different problem!

I fixed this on a friends truck and now they think I am a genius.
Spitting and sputtering with a wild tach.....DIS is the first place I look.

Bruce

Ok i will try that i was leaning towards this part as well! There is no bone yards with stangs in them around here. The auto store wants $130+ for them and the dealer wants $300+ :eek: peace

My car is doing that right now. I have a 93 2.3L and it's doing the exact same thing. When I pull off the bottom left spark plug wire from the coil that's closest to me, the car fixes. It will run fine and then I hit a speedbump or something and the car messes up. I have to pull over and put the plug half way on and it runs great. I just have to be careful though because I got shocked a few times. I know nothing about engines. What's the DIS? I'm going to a mechanic tommorow so I hope he figures it out. I kept trying to figure it out. I cut off the cats, got new belts,plugs,wires,K&N air filter, 40 series muffler,oil change, and new fuel pump. And it was STILL messed up!!! I can't wait to figure this out...

the DIS is a distributorless ignition system that utilizes two sets of plugs. one is your main bank, the second set fires on the exhaust stroke to burn any remaining fuel to improve mileage and reduce emissions.

Well got a motorcraft ignition module off ebay brand new for $125 shipped! Put it on purrs like a cat and the CEL even went off! Now all i need is to trade someone for a RED 92 steering wheel for my 93 black one! Any takers on the wheel? peace