name all the little stupid things that can cuse smoke coming out from exhaust

88GTMustang

Oct 31, 2003
LA california
My car is finally back together ive am trying to run it but its smoking pretty bad. kinda a grayish black smoke, its pretty thich too. what are all of the things i can check for first besides i start thinking about a rings or valve seals.
Im gonna try new 02 sensors now ill see what that does.

• Sponsors (?)

88GTMustang said:
My car is finally back together ive am trying to run it but its smoking pretty bad. kinda a grayish black smoke, its pretty thich too. what are all of the things i can check for first besides i start thinking about a rings or valve seals.
Im gonna try new 02 sensors now ill see what that does.

Did anything leak onto headers during work.

sometimes when you use sealents, etc, (depending on what you're doing), they burn and smoke for a little bit. I'd do as PNY PWR suggested and run it for a few drive cycles...if it's still smoking, then dump codes.

Black=Rich(too much fuel)
White=Coolant
Blue=Oil(Bad Ring(s))

I've also had some white smoke on startup after working on it and let it run for a little bit and it goes away. Fuel injector cleaner might help.

i think it might be some vacuum leak, well i have the GT40p heads and gt40 intakes i switched some of the lines around and the smoking almost went away. but there is still some. The fricken upper intake has so many tubes for vacuum lines and its got me all confused!!! I wish i could find a post or pic that shows which ones go where and which ones can get capped off. its driving me insane and the car wont run rite bad idle and popping and backfires after 3000 rpms. BTW any sealents or oil and stuff is definetly burnt off by now but man she is definetly running ROUGH