Engine Need 5.0 engine advice

Beau Granbois

Oct 9, 2012
NE Montana
Ok. First I'll start with a little back story. I recently picked up a '91 Lincoln Mark VII. It has a Cobra conversion and a Vortech V-1 supercharger. I have a friend that is selling a '95 GT that I was thinking about buying. I was planning on taking the cobra topend and supercharger from the Mark VII and putting it on the GT, but I've been resourcing the different between the engines and found out that there are a few differences. I know that the pre'93 engines have MAP system and that the 94-95 went to the MAF. My question is how hard is it to convert the MAP to MAF? Parts needed? And I read that the drive systems are different on the two also. So would I still be able to run the Vortech SC if I converted to MAF and would I be able to bolt it up with the different drive system? If its alot of trouble I was also thinking of just getting a Foxbody Mustang to drop the 5.0 into. Anything advice that anyone could give me would be very helpful. Thanks
IMAG0470.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

All mustangs 89-93 use a MAF system, as well as anything beyond that. It was pre-89 cars that did not have them. Perhaps some California 88 cars had MAF. So no worries there. The MAF systems use a MAP sensor, so this may be where you are getting some of the info you are hearing. The 94-95 cars do use a different setup for the accesories, or so I have read on here. I have never actually messed with one. I do know that the intake tube will have to be slighlty different for the 94-95 car, but not a big obstacle. I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but maybe it will get you started in the right direction. The top end will bolt on with no problem, I think your biggest obstacle will be mounting the supercharger. I'm sure someone with way more knowledge on this subject will chime in.

Joe

the manifold will bolt on without trouble, but you're going to need an elbow that angles the intake.
This is an intake manifold with the bent neck, same one as you, but this one is ment for a 94-95 5.0
33986d1341623839-95-mustang-cobra-intake-manifold-stage-ii-port-95-cobra-manifold-02-web.jpg
Elderbrock and TF I believe make the elbow you need.
Also you need a 94/95 throttle body, which you could just use the stock one off of the 95 you're buying. The EGR valve is in a different place, attached to the intake manifold in a 95 and the throttlebody is further up the intake, after that elbow. From then you're probably going to do the fab work, I would just use angled metal.

The angle I think is the only real difference.

Here's a shot of a 95 engine bay, kinda blury:
IMG_1980.JPG

Attachments

• 33986d1341623839-95-mustang-cobra-intake-manifold-stage-ii-port-95-cobra-manifold-02-web.jpg
    33986d1341623839-95-mustang-cobra-intake-manifold-stage-ii-port-95-cobra-manifold-02-web.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 112
You don't need an elbow if you convert your SN95 throttle cable and related parts to Fox style.
Seems to me that this would be the way to go for sure since the blower is Fox based.

Edit:
Forgot one important thing though... You will either have to convert the blower to work with the SN95 belt setup (which I would do), or convert all your accessories and belt related items to Fox style... which is possible I suppose, but would be a royal pain.

If you have both cars sitting next to each other than you have almost all the parts to make it work by unbolting entire setup from both engines and bolting them back on to the other. Areas of concern would be clearance and electrical connectors. Fan is biggest clearance concern. Stock fan or aftermarket will be a factor here. Connectors can be swapped if they don't plug right in but, check to make sure that each wire still sends correct signals. Example- white may pulse 12 volts in one car and constant 5 in another. With foxbody intake you can do either an elbow which means the vortech elbow won't fit or do a fox intake conversion. Conversion requires parts from fox style that you already have. Hardest part with conversion is throttle cable and cruise control.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought the Mark VII for $500. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. I can get the Mustang from my friend for a grand. The engine in the mustang has been tortured so I was planning on building a different engine for it. I was gona pull the SC and cobra top off of the MarkVII. Ive been looking at a stroker block from DSS, a rotating assembly from scat, and some twist wedge heads from trick flow. I got the install manual for both the 79-87 and 94-95 SC from Vortech. They look a lot alike but the brackets are different. My main concern is clearance. The fox kit relocates the alternator down by the smog pump, the sn95 mounts it up by the original location. I'm wondering if there is enough room to fit the alternator down there on the sn95? I heard that fan clearance is an issue on the sn95. I'm pretty sure I can just get a bracket for a sn95 but it runs about $500 and I dont want to spend that money if I dont have to. They also have an alternator relocate bracket for the drivers side but it runs about the same as a new bracket. Thanks everyone for your help and input.