Need advice, what do you think about this one?

• Sponsors (?)

I am new to classic mustangs and I'm thinking about bidding on this one. What do you guys think? It looks pretty clean to me and is exactly what I want. I'd prefer a 289 but that can always be changed later on. Overall I'm just looking for a nice, rust free driveable car that is pretty much finished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-?cmd=ViewItem&_trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5304602395304194301&_trksid=p5197.m7&item=190619321808#ht_1062wt_1165

Depending on what you get it for, it looks like a great buy! The thing looks like it's in awesome shape. Were it me, I'd swap the wheels for some Magnum 500s but that's about it. If you decide to go with a roller motor, KEEP THOSE VALVE COVERS! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah wheels would be going. What is so special about those valve covers?

Well... if you're buying a car that age, then you must have some affection for the era and look of the thing. I've seen those that put brand new fire breathing motors in them with polished valve covers and the like... they just don't look like they belong. A friend of mine, did something similar. He replaced the original motor with a high compression, fire breathing stroker, but kept the original valve covers and powder coated them to match his color scheme. The completed product was awesome! Crazy how such a small thing makes such a huge difference. They transformed that modern build into something that looked period correct.

Well... if you're buying a car that age, then you must have some affection for the era and look of the thing. I've seen those that put brand new fire breathing motors in them with polished valve covers and the like... they just don't look like they belong. A friend of mine, did something similar. He replaced the original motor with a high compression, fire breathing stroker, but kept the original valve covers and powder coated them to match his color scheme. The completed product was awesome! Crazy how such a small thing makes such a huge difference. They transformed that modern build into something that looked period correct.

Ahhh I see, that is a good idea.

Looks real nice from the pictures, but having gone through this ringer myself, I would never buy a car on eBay without an in-person inspection. I wish you the best of luck and hope it lives up to your expectations.

Looks real nice from the pictures, but having gone through this ringer myself, I would never buy a car on eBay without an in-person inspection. I wish you the best of luck and hope it lives up to your expectations.

I hope everything goes well too. This is my first time buying anything like this sight unseen. My fingers are crossed. I'll post a thread when it gets here.

I assume you have the car by now. Is it as pretty as advertised?

She is definilty pretty. The paint has a few bad spots but looks great. Here's a thread I posted in classic talk

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/the-new-66-coupe.852502/

She runs and drives great so I'm happy. Only issues are a small oil leak that I've got to trace down. I'm in the process of ID'ing the rear end ( 8" or 9") and what type of 302 is in there (roller or flat tappet?) My '89 5.0 is taking up all my time right now though, I'm in the middle of a H/C/I swap. It's got all the major components though, 302, 5 lugs, and front disc brakes. First mod was 17" torque thrust II's all around. Now I need to clean up the calipers. No major upgrades planned anytime soon. Just enjoy driving it!