Need help about clutch, throwout bearing, etc. install plz!

esbee

Jan 22, 2003
durham, nc
So as I started my car last nite (it had been sitting all day & was cold outside), I hear a high-pitched squealing sound when I push in my clutch. So I'm assuming that my throwout bearing is going bad. So, if I have to replace my bearing I might as well replace my clutch while I have the tranny dropped (I have 105k miles on it).

My questions are:
What kind of clutch should I get (Spec, Centerforce, etc.)?
Where's a good site to get one?
Can this be done in one day? I have done this on a 65 mustang several times, so I'm familiar with the process but that's been a few years.

My car is a 95 cobra with 105k miles. All stock except for exhaust & I don't really plan on adding anything else to it, so a stock or equivalent clutch will do. Just looking for something decent that's not ridiculously expensive.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

clutch

HI,

My buddie just blew his clutch too. Summit seems like the best place to get one, being that the kits are heavy and they offer free shipping. I actually put a Ram clutch kit in mine and it came with the alignment tool, which is HIGHLY recommended. My buddie got the ford KING Cobra and it didn't have one. That basically seem about the same to me. But yeah, it should be a one day job. The toughest part to me, is getting to those top tranny bolts. And if your car is like my buddies cobra, there is a lot in the way. Hope it helps.

I got a King Cobra and it came with the alignment tool. I got mine from Summit. Mine's now slipping with only 15k on it. However, I think my problem is the flywheel (used), not the clutch, so I have to leave you with that caveat. If I had it to do again (which I may soon), I'm going to go with a Centerforce II. I've also heard good things about the SPEC. Pick up a 5.0 Mustang mag. They're full of clutch ads.

I concur with it being a one day job if all goes well. Exhaust can be a PITA with that O2 pipe. Upper bolts on the bell are a pain, but rest is pretty straightforward.

hey bud, go with a spec clutch, depending on your driving habits either stage 1 or stage 2. i've blown apart zoom, hate king cobra, motorsport pressure plates suck, i run a centerforce df setup, but wish i had spec. i have never ran a ram clutch in my car, but have heard good things about them. everyone seems to like the spec clutch kits though.

as far as the alignment, if it doesn't come with one, autozone sells the alignment tools separate. you also need to replace the pilot bearing. doing the swap really isn't hard at all on a mustang. as far as the bolts that were referred to as being difficult to get to, it is much easier if you take out the 4 bolts to separate the bellhousing from the transmission, plus everything slides together easier.

optional (i always do it to make more room): take h pipe out
take driveshaft out
unbolt transmission from crossmember
remove 4 bolts from transmission to bellhousing.
remove speedometer
remove shifter handle from inside car
remove 2 bolts holding crossmember up, and the transmission will fall
slide the transmission back and out
remove starter
remove bellhousing
remove pressure plate
marvel at shiney worn out clutch disk, then throw away
remove flywheel and have surfaced
remove pilot bearing (real P.I.T.A.)
then do all these steps in reverse.

i hope this helps, but do not go zoom, or motorsport, or king cobra

centerforce sucks

I had a centerforce in my car once upon a time.
chirpped like a bluebird on crack.

got a spec stage 2 for a replacement and love it to death.
awesome pedal, can't say enough about it.

if I remember correctly I got mine from jdsperformance.

good luck, a stage 1 will probably do for ya since ya aint goin hog wild with your setup.