need help from those in the know...

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I recently bought a 70 Cougar as a father/son project. What I need to know is this-the front rocker extension panel on the passenger side is only about half there. On Mustangs Unlimited website, and others I have looked at, they only advertise that part for 65-68's. Is there that much of a difference between the 65-68 and the 69-70 pieces and if so what is it?

• Sponsors (?)

I recently bought a 70 Cougar as a father/son project. What I need to know is this-the front rocker extension panel on the passenger side is only about half there. On Mustangs Unlimited website, and others I have looked at, they only advertise that part for 65-68's. Is there that much of a difference between the 65-68 and the 69-70 pieces and if so what is it?

I am not 100% sure what you are asking about, are you talking about the extension that bolts to the front of the fender? If so, the 67-8 are one style, the 69 is a one-year-only deal as is the 70.
The 69 extensions will bolt on to a 70 and vice versa, but they look completely different. The 70 juts out more than the 69.
Does this help?
Tim

Are you talking about the lower part of the car, under the door? That rocker trim?
I'll take an opportunity to invite you over to mercurycougardot net, lots of good Cougar folk over there.
( I don't get to look at 'all' pictures that are posted, something about a government computer...I don't know)

If you have a 'bullet' shaped chrome piece, you may have the Cougar Sport Special trim.
But I can't see from here.....
I have a 70 Cougar XR7 as a father son project too.....

Damned gov't computers! :D It is under the fender-not visible while the car is together, and welded to the inner rocker. And I am a member over there also, just thought as the undercarriage of these are the same thing, I would ask here instead. Alot more Mustangs than Cougars, so I thought the chance that someone would run into this here would be better.

The resident Couger guy says it's the same as a 70 Mustang at the nose. THe length overall may be different, but it looks like you are only going to use the front section off the patch panel of an outer rocker skin. If it were me, I would cut the rust out and weld in a patch. Never going to see it.

This is the part in question:

OUTER ROCKER FRONT EXTENSION PANEL RH 65/68
Outer Rocker Front Extension Panel, Passenger Side, 1965-1968 Mustang & 1967-1968 Cougar.

This panel fits directly behind the front fender at the fender's base. It goes from the front wheel opening & stops at the front of the door. (It is hidden by the front fender.)

Related Parts:
-Outer Rocker Panel, Passenger Side #50128

The outer rocker does not have this to make a patch from:

OUTER ROCKER PANEL RH 65/70 MUSTANG/COUGAR
Full-Length Outer Rocker Panel, Passenger Side for 1965-1970 Mustang and 1967-1970 Cougar.

This 63" panel runs under the door from the rear tire to the outer rocker front extension at the base of the front fender (to the front of the doors). 19-gauge sheetmetal provides structural support to your Mustang or Cougar.

Related Parts:
-Driver Side Outer Rocker Panel, #50129
-Outer Rocker Front Extension, Passenger Side, #M141RH

These are the descriptions at the Mustangs Unlimited website.

Hmmm....yep, thats what my catalogs say too. THe front extension could be adapted. I ran into this problem with a 71 convertible too. I had to reuse the outer rocker cover. You may have to do some fabrication there unless someone else can come up with a source for that part. Like I said, I would just cut the rust out and fab a patch in there. Or cut one out of a salvage yard car. Fitting the 64-68 extension and cutting one out may be more trouble than it's worth. Unless this is some really rare car, cut it and weld in a solid patch. Seam seal and paint. I looks like the metal underneth is intact. Actually, looking at the picture again, the 64-68 part looks pretty close. $35 plus shipping from CJ Pony. Call CJ and ask them about this. THey may have a better suggestion for a repair patch.