need help on debating between a pms,tweecer, or custom tune/chip

tvmango

Oct 27, 2003
bradenton florida
What would you recommend with my mods>> I am leaning towards the pms.. Do any of you run any of these and what are your experiences. I know any of them are going to need significant dyno time,, what does it normally cost??.... thank you,,,,, tony

• Sponsors (?)

Deffinitly custom dyno tune w/chip.. It is well worth the money and you no that the car is safe.. I don't know much about the other things but I would rather want a professional tune my car rather then myself, I wouldn't have the slightest idea.. You could be different though.. I had my car tuned by LaRocca's (IMO the best mustang tuner in the US) and my car was very safe and made some good power 380+ at the wheels on a completely stock long block 302 with 10lbs of boost..

I just went though the same decision on my car. I bought a TwEECer and tried it to use it, but it was too much info to take all in. Needs to be alittle more user friendly, IMO. And they say the new software for it is suppose to be, but I didn't feel comfortable tuning it myself with that system. It is a good system when/if you figure out what all the functions are. Allot of people on their site have good luck with it. Thats one though it has a dedicated site for help and support. http://www.Tweecer.com & http://tweecer.oplnk.net/

I also looked into have a dyno tuned chip but it was too exspensive($795) for me to justify. It was a good deal for what the offered, that included chip and them dyno-tuning within a 4 hour dyno session. But if you change anything that tune is pretty much gone. If I had a rcae car or a car I competed in a class for I would have done this, but mine car is a street car firts then track.

I ended up going with a JMS chip http://www.jmschip.com/ Allways heard good thing about them and have a seen their chips in action. Couple friends had them in their cars with good suscess. Both street car, one on the bottle and one SC'ed and theh cars run, 11.0's and 10.70's. If you change anything on that chip it only cost $80 to re-burn it.

All have their ups & downs, and I looked at all....... just have to see what you want/need for your combo. If you don't plan on changing anything go with the dyno-tuned chip. Cost but you get the best of both worlds, driveabilty with the max power.

thank you,, that was exactly what I was looking for.. I am hoping to have someone with a pms to chime in.. I got a demo of one and they are slick.. How do the jms chips work? You tell them what you got and they send you a chip? I agree that the tweecer is a pain.I have read some of the posts on their forums,, I understand what they are doing pretty well, but it seems to be alot of computing versus a joystick like controller of a pms, plus having no laptop in my car makes me feel better, I'm also not a racer, just a wanna be, so having that seems a bit much to me,,. And a dynotune costs that much!!!! Holy sh-t!! I figured $400.00,, the pms is looking really good now!!!.....Thank you so very much for your awesome input,,,, tony

If you feel comfortable making changes and have a good understanding of what and how things work a programmable system is the way to go.

If you just want the car tuned the way it is under a certain set of parameters the chip is the way to go, they are less intially but some charge for reburns as your mods change.

The PMS is a great system, we have it on our blown 93 Cobra and really like it, same major gains on the dyno with it. I know a few other guys that run them and are very happy with the gains they have seen but you do need to know what you are doing. With any tuner there will be a learning curve..........

PMS04ECC-IV.jpg

Unlock the Performance Potential of your EEC-IV with Engine Tuning Adjustability Not Available in any Performance "Chip"!
The P.M.S. goes far beyond the capabilities of a performance "chip", offering a broad selection of adjustments and tuning. Now you can take advantage of aftermarket performance components while still using the stock engine control computer! Step up to the P.M.S. and move into tomorrow's world of performance!

The PMS for 89-95 EEC-IV Mustang has some great new features for 2004 in addition to all the other great features it already has.

* Now comes with global fuel adjustments, which means you can offset the mass air for different sized injectors.

* Air charge temp and Water temp fuel and timing adjustments can now be made from -40 to +250 degrees

* TPS volts are now adjustable: What this means is if you want 1.05 to be idle you put that in. The same with W.O.T. - you tell the PMS what volts.

* NEW! Easier to use controller with adjustments down to 500 rpm increments starting at 2000 rpm

* NEW! for 2004 single data display screens let you monitor spark timing, injector function, oxygen sensor, water temp, air charge temp., mass air voltage and manifold pressure/vacuum

* Start fuel setting, which controls the injector when the starter is turning the motor over. This gets rid of the hard starting with 42 lb. injector or bigger.

* Air Fuel Mixture fully adjustable.

* Idle Mixture and Timing fully adjustable.

* Stand alone turn on is now adjustable: The stand alone is set up to turn on at 3500rpm, which can be adjusted from 2000 rpm to 5600 rpm. The factory EEC has no control in standalone mode. This gives us even better fuel and timing control and now the Rev limiter can be moved to as high as 9900 rpm with a faster processor.

* Total spark and rate-of-advance fully adjustable.

* Two step rev-limiter.

* Two programmable RPM/Throttle output accessory control switches.

* Tunable Nitrous Oxide Adjustment Table.

* Tunable Turbo or Supercharger timing and fuel adjustment up to 30lb of boost.

* Purple anodized, finned aluminum case resists corrosion, dirt and moisture!

* Easy installation in less than one hour.

* Plug in and Run” installations requires no programming—Just start it up and go!

* Increased RAM, EPROM, and EEPROM Internal Memory Capacity!

* Easy “User Friendly” operation—detailed owner’s manual explains all functions.

EFI-PMS 86-93 Mustang $858.00
with low impendence driver $1078.00

EFI-PMS 94-95 Mustang $858.00
with low impendence driver $1078.00

EFI-LPD plug in low impendence driver $249.00

AF-12223861 3-bar MAP for S.C. applications $85.00

That PMS looks awsome.. Not to bad with the prices either.. As for LaRocca's yes their in New Jersey.. I had a JMS chip in my car to get the blower running good with the engine before my dyno tune.. I paid $450 for the dyno tune becuz i had a chip already.. With the JMS chip on my first dyno pull i made 276rwhp and after 5 pulls i made 380+ My friend didn't have a chip in his 94 cobra and he got his tuned at LaRocca's after me, he paid $660 and also gained 100rwhp.. IMO gaining over 100rwhp and it all being safe power is well worth $600-700 dollars...

Sorry guys, I don't know why I never got a email showing somone posted on here
I ordered my new pms thursday, with the map sensor. i will bring it to a dyno after and go crazy with it.. I couldn't see spending 700-800$$ for a tuned chip.. The JMS chip seems good, and the tweecer looks like a nighmare to run,, i really like the video game controller like screen, You can see alot of parimeters at once... I'm sure I will run into som problems but it's not much different than using the toyota scan tool at work, ecxept I have more control with the and PMS....Also Now I can sell me msd BTM and Fmu to recoup some of the money....
Thank you all for you input,, tony