Need help on what parts will interchange

2VSouth

Jan 11, 2011
I'm deep in the planning stages for my forged 4v build and have my block right now and a list of the major things but the list is growing. Right now I'm on smaller accesories and what not. My questions are, will my front dress pulleys from my 04 GT interchange to an 04 mach 1 timing cover? B/c thats what I plan to use. Also, besides the TTY bolts, will I be able to use the rest?

Here's my list so far for reference

01 Cobra WAP Block
Manley H Beam forged Rods w/ ARP hardware & Manley -11cc forged pistons w/ Total Seal Rings
03 Cobra Cylinder Heads
99 Cobra Exhaust Cams
96-98 Cobra Intake Cams
Mach 1 Timing Cover
01 Cobra Upper and Lower Intake Manifold
01 Cobra Fuel Rails
42lb fuel injectors
ARP Main Studs
ARP Head Studs

• Sponsors (?)

I'm deep in the planning stages for my forged 4v build and have my block right now and a list of the major things but the list is growing. Right now I'm on smaller accesories and what not. My questions are, will my front dress pulleys from my 04 GT interchange to an 04 mach 1 timing cover? B/c thats what I plan to use. Also, besides the TTY bolts, will I be able to use the rest?

Here's my list so far for reference

01 Cobra WAP Block
Manley H Beam forged Rods w/ ARP hardware & Manley -11cc forged pistons w/ Total Seal Rings
03 Cobra Cylinder Heads
99 Cobra Exhaust Cams
96-98 Cobra Intake Cams
Mach 1 Timing Cover
01 Cobra Upper and Lower Intake Manifold
01 Cobra Fuel Rails
42lb fuel injectors
ARP Main Studs
ARP Head Studs

There are a good number of things you are missing from your list that will make this swap a PITA. In the end this swap is a ton of work and a ton of money. My question is.... have you fully thought it through? You could keep your components and slap on a supercharger for less money and less labor. On a stock motor you would be putting out ~360rwhp+ with a basic s/c kit, significantly more than what you would make with your 4v swap.

Here are some additions to your list if you still want the 4v....

One of the worst is the cooling system, almost all the hoses are in a different location. Here is a list of parts you will need:
Coolant Crossover- XR3Z-8548-AD $135.91
Radiator Hose- F7ZZ-8260-AA $21.96
Radiator Hose- F6ZZ-8286-C $11.33
Hose- F7ZZ-8A593-AB $29.07
Hose- F7ZZ-8K576-AC $25.31
Hose asy- F8ZZ-8C350-AA $17.83
½ Thermo housing XR3Z-8K528-AA $58.80
½ Thermo housing F6ZZ-8592-BB $37.74
Seal for T-stat F1VY-8255-A $7.98
Bolts for T-stat -W500015-S309 $2.20 x 2

Than there is the ignition system. You will need 4v COPs. Guess $80+ used. They are expensive new ($40+ per).

These are different too going from a 2v to 4v:
Throttle Cable 1R3Z-9A758-CA $50.66
Cruise Cable XR3Z-9A825-BA $27.98

Exhaust: The exhaust manifolds are different shaped. GTs are round, 01 cobras are oval, mach 1's are 'square'. The GT headers will work but will have some slight mismatch. If you want to do it right you might want some cobra headers.

Drivetrain: If you have a 04 GT than you have a 6 bolt flywheel. Going to a 01 cobra motor you will have to buy a new 8 bolt flywheel. While you are at it you will probably want to buy a new clutch appropriate for your goal power level. Add on a FRPP TOB and pilot bearing.

That is all I know from the guide I have bookmarked.

Well my build isn't just gonna be a typical 4v swap. I plan to do a procharged 4v build pushing 550-600+rwhp. I know full well the overall time and expense this will take and I'm not worried about time or cost as this build will take me awhile to get done and I'm in no rush. It definitely wont be cake, I know that and I'm going towards it with that in mind.

Thanks for listing those parts, that helps a ton. Yes, I already have my exhaust setup planned out as well since I know that 2v headers wont work. I'm gonna go with Kooks and just mate the LTs up with my current midpipe n catback. Yes, the cops wont be a problem as I have a friend thats selling me his for $70. The only thing I'm worried about with the electrical is modifying my GT harness to work with the 4v cops, mainly b/c I'm not good at wiring or electrical components.

Sweet, that answered my question about the flywheel. The clutch I haven't looked into yet but plan to get one to stand up to my goals.