need help quick on spark wires!

I'm in the proccess of replacing my sparks, spark wires, cap and rotor. this is the first time doing this and i'm stuck!

the book says the cap order is counter-clockwise so: and please excuse my crappy diagram.

Code:
4         1         8
3     2       8     7
2   3           7   6
1     4       6     5

^         ^         ^
|         | cap     |
|                   |
|_______plugs_______|
that's how the book says to do it, but my cap is wired like this:

Code:
4         1         8
3     4       8     7
2   2           3   6
1     7       5     5

^         ^         ^
|         | cap     |
|                   |
|_______heads_______|

what should i do?

• Sponsors (?)

Your firing order is this:
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
You start with the 1 on the dizzy cap should have a 1 and go counter clockwise around it to each plug.

Code:
4         1         8
3     3       8     7
2   7           4   6
1     2       5     5

^         ^         ^
|         | cap     |
|                   |
|_______heads_______|

ok, i got everything replaced, i wired it to the 1-4-2-7-6-5-3-8, it was running like normal. then i wired it to the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and it shakes the whole car, so i took it for a drive around the block and all i hear is "pop pop pop" misfires. is my engine an outcast?

Loosen the bolt holding down your distributor. With the wires hooked up in the 13726548 order rotate your distributor some to see if the engine runs smoother. If not return it to your old order and scratch your head in befuddlement.

got it! since i'm new to the the whole car thing, i was lost so i took it down to autozone, three blocks away and popping all the way there, truned it off, talked to the guy about it. we figured the distributor must have been turned wrong (timing i assume) so he told me to just wire it back up in that 1-4-2-7-6-5-3-8 and then just play with the distributor until i got it set right. well, i go out to change all the wires back to the weird order, and it's running like ****. so we go back to the HO order, drove it around the block, works even better than before!! i guess the computer just had to catch up? anywho, before today i couldn't even get a bark out of the tires, now i have to watch myself at stop lights.

just a little info on what was there before, it had those bosch platniums on it. i've always read that platniums and foxes don't mix. i got autolite #25s for it, was going to get the #24 but they didn't have any. so i got the #25s, bosch wire set, and duralast gold cap and rotor. runs like a champ now. my idle is way lower. it was around 1500rpm, now it's down to 750rmp or so. and it just runs awesome.

and the info on the car, it's a 91' 5.0 LX hatch. i don't think the engine was ever swapped, and it is an HO. the guy i bought it from used to be the mechanic for the police station out here so i figured he knew what he was doing. tuesday i'm going to ask him if there was any reason for that funky order.

anywho, it's working with 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. thanks for all the helps guys.

plainwrecknate said:
i want to do the timing, but i don't have $40 to spend on a timing light that i'll use once or twice and that's it. what's the importance of a timing light? wouldn't a flashlight allow you to see the degrees? hahaha.

No. The timing light pulses to the #1 spark plug wire....that's the only way you can accuratly time an engine.