need help with exhust car sounds like s..t

xbajbusx

Oct 11, 2005
ok here is the deal i always been around 5.0 l mustangs and now i got 98 cobra i just did exhust on it bbk off road xpipe (no cats)with flowmasters and the car sounds like s.. ,need advice im keeping the xpipe but im selling the flowmasters what should i put in that will sound good please help ?

• Sponsors (?)

The BBK X pipe is the problem. With Flow's they sound like metal being rattled in a tin can.

If I were you, id sell it and get an H pipe. Flow's and an H pipe are a sick match for eachother. A better X pipe would sound better, but you wont get the same tone.

Its also alot cheaper to replace the midpipe then a new catback.

xbajbusx said:
so what are you recomending to get ride off the off road xpipe and just to get off road hpipe ?and it will sound nice ?

Thats what I personally would do.

Heres a quick link to the site that 1999SVTvert was talking about.

This is the Flowmaster page, just find a clip with an offroad H pipe and see if you like it or not. http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?catid=14

Or this page... its Cobra specific... http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?catid=48

:nice:

The problem is one or the other - depending on your sound preference. Ditch the catback or the midpipe, and match exhaust parts accordingly.

:cheers:

The general "school of thought" is that
"X pipes sound better with straight-through style mufflers while H pipes sound better with chambered-style mufflers ."

straight through mufflers = magnaflow, dynomax, etc
chambered = flowmaster, mac, etc

i got a 03 cobra with stock manifolds, bassani no cat X pipe,and borla stinger exhast, it also sounds like s**t. at 70 to 80 mph it drones so bad i cant stand it ,,at 80 85 mph its quite's down. its the no cat x pipe.i got some old mac back system off my 99 cobra i sold with stock exhast ex for flows it sounded good though. iam going to try them out .

Consider getting the O/R H-Pipe - Price: <$200 and running the Flows. I'm running BBK LT Headers into H-pipe/Flows but mine has the High Flow Cats on it and it's pretty intense and sick! If you don't like that combo, then you can pull the H, put on the X and spend $400-$600 on another catback system. (SLP LM1's, Magnapacks, Borla, Bassani... Yeah, that's my order of favorite to least favorite in the X pipe combo!). Good luck getting what you like in that Snake. But I would test it with the H first as you can get much closer to what you paid for it if you don't like it VS. not liking the catback that you get.

Magnaflows rock

I had a 97 Cobra with Flowmasters. They sounded OK, nice and boomy at lower RPM's but they quieted down at higher RPM's. Now I have a 99 Cobra and put on a Magnaflow cat-back, with stock cats and h-pipe, and it sounds AWESOME. Loud enough to get your attention but never so loud that you wish it was a little quieter. And it sounds great in the higher rev range. Got mine used on ebay for $300 but new ones are $500.

ok i just put megnapack and off road bbk xpipe and the car still sound like sh.. its loud nesty loud and it has sound of a camaro i don't like it at all (i miss the sound of my 5.0) ,im gone go with the offroad bbk hpipe and flowmasters i had it with this stupid xpipe bullsh.. no more xpipes for me if anybody is intersting in getting one i got it for sale im in new jersey i have on it less then 100 miles car sound it so bad that i didnt drive it ,

You will like the sound of the H-pipe and Flowmasters...it'll sound more like a muscle car instead of an exotic car...

I have a catted H with flowmasters on my car once again after having long tubes and and O/R X on my car with the flows...it didn't sound bad but not nearly as good as the H and flows does...