Need help with nitrous

I recently installed a Zex nitrous kit on my 98 Cobra and so far I have run 2 bottles through it. The first bottle was used up mostly on my purge kit install and a few test runs. I took the car to the track and right before I staged for my first run I purged. All I got was a tiny little white puff and then only clear gas. I thought I had run out of nitrous. The next day I took the bottle out and weighed it. I still had like 3 lbs. left according to the scale. (The bottle weighs 14.1 lbs. empty and it weighed 17.1 lbs.) I let a little spray out and it was warm and clear - not freezing cold and white like nitrous oxide is. I emptied the bottle into the air and then got it refilled. I figured the stuff in the bottle was skunked and I didn't want to top it off and ruin all the new nitrous. I took this bottle to the track and got instant results. I got a 12.56, a 12.71 and a few 12.80's. I was content. I then took a few weeks off and then took the car back to the track. AGAIN...right before staging on my FIRST RUN, I purged and got a little white puff and then CLEAR SPRAY!!! I took the bottle out and weighed it when I got home and had about 3 lbs. left AGAIN!!! Why is the last 3 lbs. of nitrous turning to crap??? I realize when the bottle gets near empty you can start to feel "surging." I felt NOTHING! Am I doing something wrong??? I closed the bottle after every use and purged out also. Should I be taking the bottle out of the car??? Am I not doing something that I should be??? :bang: HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Do I have to use the bottle up all in 1 day? I have noticed that if I use the first half or so of the bottle at the track and then try to use the rest on a different day, the second half of the bottle is junk. Should I be doing something differently??? :shrug:

I have the same problem. I own a 2000 gt with a zex kit also and, as with you, the last 2-3 pounds of gas turns to junk. I assume the last three pounds is just compressed air. All the laughing gas is gone and only air remains. This is just a guess so please dont quote me on that but i do assume that some compress air gets into the bottle while filling. im not sure if there is anything we can do about it besides get a bottle hearter and raise bottle pressure and I dont think that would help lengthen your usage but lt might make it less due to more nitrous going in because of higher bottle pressure. I think maybe a fifteen pound bottle should come with the kits so you do get your full 10 lbs of gas...This may be a really stupid responce but its all i can think of, i use a 100 shot and when the bottle is full I can get a 12.94@106 but as the bottle gets more empty my time falls, i plan to invest in a heater soon to help solve this