Need Helps With High flow cats

cedp83

Aug 28, 2009
Duluth, GA
HIgh Flow Cats/Emmissions

I just got off the phone with Magnaflow, I was told I need 4 cats to keep my car legal. Do I really need to put 4 high flow cats back in my exhaust to make the car pass emmisions in GA?
2 cats won't pass testing?
I'm confused. It is impossible to put 4 cats when you have LTs. I was thinking to either buy 2 high flow cats and weld them to my O/R h pipe or buy a BBK shorty h pipe with cats but then what's the point of buying it if the car is still not gonna pass. HELP!!!!, any clarification would be appreciatted.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll have to look up GA's exhaust/sniffer laws first RE emissions before proceeding forward.

Does GA only have a sniffer test? Or do they do a visual check underneath the car for cats? Is there a seperate registration sticker for smog/emissions purposes, etc, etc...

My *guess* is that the rep told you that you would need the four cats to pass a visual check (as some states look for 4 cats underneath the car). OR perhaps the rep felt that with your specific setup, you would need the "cleansing" power of 4 cats instead of 2 to pass a sniffer test. :shrug:

not sure about your state,but in cali
you need to have the same # of cat that came from the factory,in the stock location.
we have visual aswell as sniffer.
i could pass with 2 hi flow,but fail visual

The 2 cats on my MAC catted Prochamber are failing, Supposedly they are Magnaflow cats. I passed emissions for a few years but it looks like the cats are shot. I forget what chemical is reading high, but I remember it was cat related. Emissions where I live are as strict as California. :notnice:

The law says you have to have the same number of cats in the same location as originally equipped to be legal, no matter what number of cats in what locations would satisfy a sniffer. Which seems silly to me - if two cats passes a sniffer then shouldn't that satisfy the spirit of the law? It's reducing emissions by an acceptable amount, right? Anyway, Magnaflow can't tell you just slap two on there and call it a day when the law says otherwise.

In review, your options are:

-Put four on and be completely legal
-Leave your stock pipe on and be completely legal
-Put two on and hope they never look under the car
-Put two on and weld on a pair of shells and get by a quick visual inspection
-Run whatever crazy exhaust and swap the stock pipe back for inspection and hope no one takes a peek in between (has that ever happened to anyone?)

The law says you have to have the same number of cats in the same location as originally equipped to be legal, no matter what number of cats in what locations would satisfy a sniffer. Which seems silly to me - if two cats passes a sniffer then shouldn't that satisfy the spirit of the law? It's reducing emissions by an acceptable amount, right? Anyway, Magnaflow can't tell you just slap two on there and call it a day when the law says otherwise.

In review, your options are:

-Put four on and be completely legal
-Leave your stock pipe on and be completely legal
-Put two on and hope they never look under the car
-Put two on and weld on a pair of shells and get by a quick visual inspection
-Run whatever crazy exhaust and swap the stock pipe back for inspection and hope no one takes a peek in between (has that ever happened to anyone?)

For what state is that?

All 50. It's federal law. Every state chooses to inspect or not in their own way but technically if you got pulled over in a state that doesn't do smog testing, you could still get ticketed and fined if they decided to look under the car and thought your emissions equipment had been tampered with.

I dont think that is true, my tbird came with 3 cats, i hacked 1 off and replaced the others with high flow cats, and i always passes inspection, i looked the NYS emissions law, and it states that a visual inspection to ensure Emission Control Devices are in place, if the car was built with Catalytic Converters from the factory, no sniffer for 96+ cars only get the ODBII scan to ensure there is no MIL from the emission system, so as per the documents, as long as there are Cats its good for visual, it did not state the car had to have the exact number of cats that came with the car only if it has them installed. And as for getting a ticket, 1 cops are way too lazy to jack up and look under the car, but if there was an over zealous cop and they did that, then you can always say the cats failed and this is what the mechanic put on.