NEED INFO ON BELTS ROUTING ON 66 STANG

ARPM

Jul 8, 2004
PUERTO RICO
Ok!, After 15 years of using my 66 i decided to restore it to factory condition from every angle. After looking to a few setups over the forums and the web I discovered that my AC compressor had the wrong clutch assy and bought my self the correct one and tried to install it. The first problem was that the belt didn't align with any one of the pulleys in the engine. I had swaped a few years ago the damper pulley for a chrome one from NPD and in the process I upgraded to a 3 sheeve one in case anything else will be added later. No problem there I got the old 2 sheeve one back and the compressor clutch aligned perfectly. Then i found out that the power steering pulley didn't align correctly and i used one from my 73 mach1 that perfectly aligned with the rest. My question is, Is that the correct setup for my 66?. I am including a Pic from the last Ford Factory Manual published in 1976 for these models that show the layout of the belts. What's weird is that it uses only 2 belts for everything, one for tha AC and another one to drive the Alternator,Water Pump and Power Steering.(See Pic below that also has the new clutch I installed) I will also need the info on the belts. Thanks

AC%20AND%20BELTS2.gif

• Sponsors (?)

The 66 289 with AC (I am intimately familiar) has a 3-sheave crankshaft pulley. The sheave closest to the engine is the alternator belt, the middle sheave is for the power steering belt, and the one closest to the radiator is for the AC belt.

Thanks 2+2 for you response. That's the way I figured it out. But I have 2 different "3 sheave crank pulleys" the aftermarket chrome from NPD and a factory one and none of them align with the AC clutch. The AC clutch I got is a brand new replacement one from 4 Seasons PN 48812 this is a direct replacement for the 66 one. The car has the factory AC bracket just like the one in the Pic I posted, the factory P.S bracket and the factory P.S pump with the thick slanted fill neck. I have temporally used a 67 pump until I re-seal and detail de original one but they are physically identical except for the size of the filler neck. The only non factory part is the A/C tensioner pulley but I have the original one and has the same size pulley and length ( The old one has a noisy bearing). If you look at the factory diagram I posted shows a 2 belt setup. The curious part is that with the 2 sheave crank pulley and the P.S pump pulley from my 73 everything aligns just like the Ford manual states.

Hmmm- this is the tension pulley.

7-148sm.jpg

This pulley was added to 65-66 below the compressor to reduce belt vibration, I added one to my 66 and it really helps.

View attachment 242850

This is the crank pulley. What you can't tell in this photo is the AC sheave is wider, for a bigger belt.

1aab_1.JPG

yEP! Those are the one I have with the exception of the optional pulley. I believe I got it nail down now. The 66 GT I have is a "K" Code 289 and looks like when I got the car 15 years ago the Previous Owner had installed the P.S and A/C on it and I think (Not sure) that all "K" codes didn't come with PWR Steering or A/C. The Harmonic Balancer in the "K" code is so wide that's setting the 3 sheave crank pulley way too far to the front. I Tested a harmonic balancer from a 65 289 for a short time (There is a counter balance weight inside that changes the original 28 ounces external balance) and the 3 sheave pulley I have along with the new clutch and original PWR steering pulley and everything aligned like you mentioned, alternator in the inner most,PWR steering in the center and A/C on the outer. I will have to verify if the 66GT came with PWR steering or not and check for the correct pulleys if they are available. I will REALY hate to give up PWR steering on this car; it's my Sunday cruiser and the one I take to meetings and shows driving it. I will appreciate if any one else that has any info on this will share it with me. Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Right you are, no PS or AC on the K code. Let's see, the service replacement K code harmonic balancer (C8 something…) will accept the pulley. Or use the C8 service replacement pulley, I think that might fit the earlier K code balancer. Or you could have a bit of material removed from the inside diameter of the balancer. Or you could contact CAA, they may be able to provide an aftermarket pulley that works.

The 67 K code was available with PS, and used an immense pulley (kinda like the alternator) to prevent overspeeding the pump.

JL0793.JPG

Right you are, no PS or AC on the K code. Let's see, the service replacement K code harmonic balancer (C8 something…) will accept the pulley. Or use the C8 service replacement pulley, I think that might fit the earlier K code balancer. Or you could have a bit of material removed from the inside diameter of the balancer. Or you could contact CAA, they may be able to provide an aftermarket pulley that works.

The 67 K code was available with PS, and used an immense pulley (kinda like the alternator) to prevent overspeeding the pump.

JL0793.JPG

DAMMED!... That's the mother of PS Pulleys. I just got me an used C8ZE-6316A service replacement damper for $85 but is a bit wider that my original C50Z-6316A. Mine is 6 .500" Dia X 3.48" and the other is 6.500" Dia X 3.58" so I am back to suquare one.

DAMMED!... That's the mother of PS Pulleys. I just got me an used C8ZE-6316A service replacement damper for $85 but is a bit wider that my original C50Z-6316A. Mine is 6 .500" Dia X 3.48" and the other is 6.500" Dia X 3.58" so I am back to suquare one.

The 68 C8 Service Replacement 289HP damper does differ in appearance from the original. I believe the outer ring actually weighs a bit more than the original C5, but the inner portion, with the counterweight, is identical. The C5 is now available in reproduction, and if I needed to, I'd machine the ID to fit the pulley. This should not be needed with the C8 version.

The C5 repro:

C5OE-6316-A.jpg