Need new tires

BennytheJet

Dec 23, 2004
I think it's time I get new tires. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find much on types of tires to buy. I have a 2006 Mustang GT and have the stock 17" rims. Any suggestions as to the best tire to buy? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but with 20, 000 miles (I''ve had my car since Sept 2005) on the factory tires, it seems I am loosing traction on wet surfaces. Lately, whenever I go over any wet area and into a turn at low speeds, my car hydroplanes, or drifts side to side. This has happen quite a few times.

So I guess I am looking for better all around traction, which would be all season I guess. Of course, I do live in Southern California so rain is not as frequent.

I usually use bridgestone. The BF goodrich on my cobra couldn't handle the cornering I was doing ( grinding off the lettering on the sidewalls about 1/2 way down teh letters). But the potenzas worked great.

srothfuss said:
It's time for you to head over to www.tirerack.com and do some research.

When you go to the Tirerack site you'll see a tire called an AvonTech M550 A/S. Tirerack's customer survey results rank it number 2, between the Bridgestone and the Pirelli. I bought a set in the factory size (245 45 17) for my 96 Cobra Convertible, primarily because they were highly recommended by the salesman who I spoke with at Tirerack. They were a great tire for about the first 3,500 miles or so. Very smooth riding and quiet. After that they started to get very noisy and harsh riding, and both of these problems got progressively worse as the mileage on the tires increased. The treadwear was fine but the other shortcomings on these tires caused me to know that I would have replaced them before the tread wore out had I not sold the car. They were THAT bad.

One thing I've noticed with the customer survey write-ups on Tirerack's site is that many of them are submitted by individuals who have put very few miles on the tires that they are evaluating. In most cases, replacing a worn out set of tires with a brand new set is going to cause the car to ride better and be more enjoyable to drive. The lesson learned is to pay very little attention to the Tirerack customer evaluations without first checking to see how many miles the customer has put on the tires. As far as I am concerned, if their report says that they have put less than 5,000 miles on the tires, it's probably not worth reading.

Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

You bring up a great point about the surveys. As you shop for a new set of tires, you will need to use some common sense about what you are buying.

Say for instance the tires are brand new to the market, but only cost a 1/3 of what others cost. That is a signal right there to be very careful about that tire.

My summary from personal experince:

Michellin = too expensive for the product
Good-Year = good-for-a-year [or great grip / short life]
BFGoodrich = too noisey and not suitable for use on wet roads
Firestone = decent tire / try not to think about the exploder issues
Bridgeston Potenza = Best tire for me. Quiet, great ride, good grip on the street

Those are the tire brands I have tried.... Good luck

srothfuss said:
You bring up a great point about the surveys. As you shop for a new set of tires, you will need to use some common sense about what you are buying.

Say for instance the tires are brand new to the market, but only cost a 1/3 of what others cost. That is a signal right there to be very careful about that tire.

My summary from personal experince:

Michellin = too expensive for the product
Good-Year = good-for-a-year [or great grip / short life]
BFGoodrich = too noisey and not suitable for use on wet roads
Firestone = decent tire / try not to think about the exploder issues
Bridgeston Potenza = Best tire for me. Quiet, great ride, good grip on the street

Those are the tire brands I have tried.... Good luck

I'm actually quite pleased with the Pirellis that came with the car so far. They are better than the BFG's or teh Avons that I had on my 96.