Need opinions on these options for 07 GT

metroplex

Sep 7, 2003
SE MI
I'm thinking about buying a manual 07 GT and wanted some opinions on the following options:

1). 3.55 axle ratio. Does the GT come stock with a Traction-Lok Diff (and 3.31s)? If so, do I want/need the 3.55s? How much of a hit in gas mileage will I see? Do most people get rear-end howl because they have standard 3.55s (excessive driveline wobble)?

2). Active alarm system. Worth it or not? Since it is factory installed, wouldn't thieves know exactly where to look, what to cut, etc...? Couldn't the dealership come to my house and steal it?

3). Shaker 500 / Skipper 500. I've heard a lot of stories about the Skipper 500 and am skeptical about paying $579 for the option. I would like the upgraded speakers and the door-mounted subs + amps, but the receiver sounds like a POS. My alternative is to install an aftermarket $130 CD MP3 receiver with the 4 base speakers. Any ideas?

4). All-weather floor mats. I've never seen them in person but they sound large and heavy - exactly what I need in floor mats. Do they get in the way of the pedals (Clutch + brake + throttle)?

• Sponsors (?)

Haha....At least you came to a great place for information, metroplex.

Let me try to help here.

1) Gears for Mustangs are pretty cheap. Forego the optional gears and upgrade later.

2) I have this on my car, and I've noticed the system will tell me when it was tripped, "Security Event" shows on the screen when I start the car.

3) I have the Shaker 1000 and I can't imagine needing an aftermarket system. Sure, a nifty little screen would be cool and all, but the system sounds fantastic. The 500 sounds pretty good too.

4) I always take the OEM floor mats out and save them for shows and such. Since my car was bought used I'm sourcing brand new OEMs for such things. I'd go aftermarket here too.

Focuses are nice cars, but you'll really enjoy owning the Mustang more.

Hi Osiris! :)

I've had a difficult time deciding which to go with: 07 GT or the 07 Focus ST (as you can probably tell).

Would Ford have the gall to put an open differential on a 07 GT with the manual transmission? AFAIK every Mustang GT has gotten a Traction-Lok differential and that is where I got a used T-Lok for my 00 Vic :)

Where does it say "Security Event"? The trip computer screen? I do not plan to buy any of the interior packages (just a stripped down Deluxe Coupe) so I don't think I'll even have a screen.

Has your Shaker 500 skipped or given you any problems?

The All-Weather Floormats are a $57-$75 DIO and are made of heavy rubber (not the same as the carpeted stuff that your boot/shoe will wear holes through within a few years.. LOL)

Metroplex, I picked up this set of heavy duty rubber floor mats from Advanced Auto parts for $50. I forget the brand name, but the fronts are advertised to hold 16 ozs of liquid. No trimming was needed for the fronts. I did have to custom fit the rears though.
I have the Shaker1000 and have not had a problem at all.

Drivermat.jpg

Rearmat.jpg

Attachments

• Drivermat.jpg
    Drivermat.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Rearmat.jpg
    Rearmat.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 64
My $0.02

metroplex said:
I'm thinking about buying a manual 07 GT and wanted some opinions on the following options:

1). 3.55 axle ratio. Does the GT come stock with a Traction-Lok Diff (and 3.31s)? If so, do I want/need the 3.55s? How much of a hit in gas mileage will I see? Do most people get rear-end howl because they have standard 3.55s (excessive driveline wobble)?

2). Active alarm system. Worth it or not? Since it is factory installed, wouldn't thieves know exactly where to look, what to cut, etc...? Couldn't the dealership come to my house and steal it?

3). Shaker 500 / Skipper 500. I've heard a lot of stories about the Skipper 500 and am skeptical about paying $579 for the option. I would like the upgraded speakers and the door-mounted subs + amps, but the receiver sounds like a POS. My alternative is to install an aftermarket $130 CD MP3 receiver with the 4 base speakers. Any ideas?

4). All-weather floor mats. I've never seen them in person but they sound large and heavy - exactly what I need in floor mats. Do they get in the way of the pedals (Clutch + brake + throttle)?

1. I bought the 3.55's. Glad I did. Thought was that at least I'd have "better" gears than the 3.31s until I stepped up to something else later. Gas mileage is about 21.7 overall so far with about 2000 miles on the car.

2. I bought this & the side air bags more for an insurance break than anything else. Additional thought was that as popular as these cars are, they could become a "most stolen" car. Also thought an active alarm system was a good move on a convertible.

3. The Shaker 500 came standard on my car as it was a GT Premium. I'm 50 years old and have a bad case of hearing loss from a career in the Marines around loud engines, tanks, artillery & helicopters. The sound quality of the Shaker is just fine with me. The unit has perfomed flawlessly since day one. I see no reason to upgrade. You may want to think about the satellite radio option as well.

4. I completely agree with kooldawg 6 on the mats. I never buy that stuff as an option or from the dealer's poart/accessories counter. The first thing I did to the new car was to stop at a K-mart on the way home from the dealership to pick up a set of plain black rubber floor mats for something like 8 bucks. I put them over the factory carpeted ones, to keep them looking new. No problems with them interfering with the pedals

One opther thought: If you're ordering the car, you may also want to consider not ordering the Ford factory wheel locks at $50. The ones that I got at Auto Zone for $10 fit & work just fine.

Here are my opinions:

I have no complaints about the Shaker 500 system in my '07 GT, but I primarily listen to Sirius anyway. The subs in the door are great. I also like the AUX input in the center console that lets me play my iPod through the car radio.

I have a habit of wearing through carpeted floor mats with my right heel, so I bought the Ford all-season floor mats after I bought the car. The all-season mats are nice and heavy, and rear mats are included in the set. The mats only cover the flat part of the floor, so they don't interfere with the pedals.

I have the 3.55 gears: I bought my GT off the dealer's lot, and they were on it already. The 3.55 gears seem to add a bit more punch to acceleration in traffic (I drove a car with 3.21 gears when I bought mine). I'm getting over 16 MPG around town and over 25 MPG on the highway with the 3.55s.

I don't have an active alarm system, so I can't comment on that.

I tried satellite radio for about 1 day before I decided it was a waste of money. I won't be buying the Sirius option for the GT. I'm primarily interested in the durability/reliability of the CD/MP3 aspect of the Shaker 500 and not the audio quality. I wish the base GT came with a CD/MP3 player so I wouldn't have to ask this question at all. I'd just go with that and upgrade as needed. The Shaker 500 is a great package but if the CD drive mechanism is a piece of junk, I'll still have to upgrade to a Pioneer for an extra $130. I want the Pioneer because it is supposed to be reliable, durable, and pretty decent.

I've always gone the cheap route with floor mats and after dealing with mis-matched mats, mats that are too small, and mats that are too big, I have a desire to go with a custom-fit set of mats that are durable. I saw some pics of the Ford mats sold at Advance Auto and I rather like the design, but it isn't an exact fit.

Do you have pics of the Ford dealer installed all-weather floor mats? Does it cover that left foot rest area or does it still expose the carpeting?

I'll definitely get the 3.55s and active alarm system. I'm going to skip on the side airbags because if it is my time to go, it'll be my time to go.

Are the standard painted 17" wheels a high-theft item because I didn't plan to get locking lugnuts.

Just DO IT !!

metroplex said:

1). 3.55 axle ratio. Better city MPG and can't beat the price. ALL GT rears are Limited slip

2). Active alarm system. Factory intragated, can't get better then that. Worth small price in long run

3). Shaker 500 Comes std on Prem, on deluxe get it, door panels have the speaker holes you need for up grade. Pass on the Shaker 1000

4). All-weather floor mats. Worth every penny spent, look bad azz as well

metroplex said:
IDo you have pics of the Ford dealer installed all-weather floor mats? Does it cover that left foot rest area or does it still expose the carpeting?
Unfortunately, the Ford all-season mats do NOT cover the "dead pedal" area of the carpeting.

Click the link below for a picture of the mats. The mats are actually blacker than shown in the picture: they match the charcoal interior perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Black..._1_2/102-6942396-5567315?ie=UTF8&s=automotive

Come to think of it, even if the shaker 500 craps out, $579 is a decent price for 2 amplifiers, 2 subwoofers, and 6 speakers. I suppose I could always buy a replacement aftermarket receiver and splice it in with the OEM speakers?

When / If (LOL) my car ever shows up at the dealership it'll have:

3.55's
Alarm
Side Airbags
Shaker 1000

Plus all of the other options, but those are the ones you were questioning. And incase you missed the bold print, the 3.55 rear end is also equiped with an LSD.

Were you able to get the admin fee waived? If so, how did you ask the salesperson?

The salesperson gave me an X-Plan price $5 over [(Forddirect.com invoice) * 0.996] + $75, which was like $20 below total invoice.