Need quick double check on alternator (pics)

ZelenVR

Founding Member
May 30, 1999
Boise, ID
Replacing the alternator in a '72 w/ the 315C 2bbl. The alternator terminals are both red on the old one and on the new one there is one red, one white, and one black one off to the side.

The screwdriver is pointing to the same terminal in both pics for reference, on the terminal the positive lead is hooked up to on the old one and its corresponding post on the new one. Sorry for the low quality of the pics, my phone is all I have handy.

My questions are this,

1) Does it look like the old one is hooked up correctly in the first place?

We've been having starting problems like the battery is dead, even though its a new battery. I assumed the alternator is to blame b/c its a new battery. THe car recently came out of storage and was towed to a shop to have basic maintainence done on it to get it running again. Not sure of what all was done (My father was in charge of that), but the time frame is about right to where it could have been running just off of the battery the few times its been driven since. Thinking the shop may have hooked it back up wrong, unlikely, but possible. The one black post off the side on the new one makes me think that it is the negative terminal even though thats not how its wired on the old one.

2) What is the correct way to wire this?

I'm in the middle of this right now trying to get it done before my better half gets off of work today. TIA all. :nice:

OLD one is first

Attachments

• oldalt.jpg
    oldalt.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 134
  • newalt.jpg
    newalt.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Sponsors (?)