Need some automatic tranny advice.

5.0 HOtrain

Founding Member
May 20, 2001
New Hampshire
I've just sold the tremec setup and am having a C4 built for the car. I was looking for some info for those of you that have done similiar. I have a few cores that I'm picking from but these are the list of components that I'm considering. If anyone has used parts from these suppliers let me know if you have had good/bad luck and why. Thanx in advance guys.
mike.

Hughes Performance: Rebuild kit

Performance Automatic: Reverse Manual valve body, hardened input shaft, pro pump, pro shift servo, block plate.

TCI: Low gear planetary set

Percision Industries: 9.5" stallion converter (stall undetermined).

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

can you get a smaller converter...9.5 seems too big.

what are the gear ratio's on the wide gear set...just 1st and 2nd is different right?

you know what they are? i had the aod wide gear set and it wasn't any good.

but everything else looks good.

you want at least 3000 (advertised) stall on the converter

Heh,let me be the first to tell you..just order a trans.

I went though a hell with my last C4 (broke 15 times,and was scaried it would break evey time we would take the car out).

Now I got a PA Super Comp C4,and no worries.It has a lifetime warrinty (sp).

Oh,for a SUPER converter,call PTC.Their AWSOME!

www.ptcrace.com

Very good people to deal with,and they know there stuff.Im runing one of there 8" converters now.

Thanx for the input guys. I just ordered most of the parts last week. The gear set was backordered but I found another place that sells a 2.92:1 first gear, cant remember second gear though. I havent got a converter yet, still looking but leaning towards PI still, I will check the link bluevenom, thanx.
mike.

Mike, PTC is a good company to deal with, the last customer that brought me a converter from Performance Auto was a PTC..go figure.

Are you putting a transbrake in it? The alum will hold a lot less heat. What about upgrading the servo? Go with the biggest cooler you can, the B&M is very nice, bar and plate. You'll want to use a 6an line.

Rick 91GT said:
Mike, PTC is a good company to deal with, the last customer that brought me a converter from Performance Auto was a PTC..go figure.

Are you putting a transbrake in it? The alum will hold a lot less heat. What about upgrading the servo? Go with the biggest cooler you can, the B&M is very nice, bar and plate. You'll want to use a 6an line.

No transbrake Rick. I've ordered B&M's 29,000gvw stacked plate cooler, the biggest one they list. I bought a TCI shift servo wich uses the ford "H" servo. What do you think about converter size? Remember, this is a 95% street car, is 9.5 inch too big, I thought it would be perfect? What do you think about track times? Only two passes with the tremec, second short shifted pass the car went [email protected], is it out of the question to expect 10's out of the box with the auto?
mike.

5.0 HOtrain said:
No transbrake Rick. I've ordered B&M's 29,000gvw stacked plate cooler, the biggest one they list. I bought a TCI shift servo wich uses the ford "H" servo. What do you think about converter size? Remember, this is a 95% street car, is 9.5 inch too big, I thought it would be perfect? What do you think about track times? Only two passes with the tremec, second short shifted pass the car went [email protected], is it out of the question to expect 10's out of the box with the auto?
mike.

A 9.5" would be fine.I drive my car on the street with the 8" and got no problems.

Plus I got the same B&M cooler,very good piece.But depending on were you live,you might need a fan to.

bluevenom867 said:
A 9.5" would be fine.I drive my car on the street with the 8" and got no problems.

Plus I got the same B&M cooler,very good piece.But depending on were you live,you might need a fan to.

I've thought about running into the radiator, then into the cooler and back to the tranny, any benefit to that?

Mike I leave the converter stuff up to the experts, I have seen 9-9.5" converters in 8 sec cars.

I installed the same cooler last night on a customers 408/AOD combo, very nice. Use 1/2"NPT to-6 fittings. If you want you can actually mount the cooler in the rear, it is pretty effective there! With your power 10's should be obtainable, converter will be important.

Thanx Rick, havent thought about mounting the cooler there. I would love to see a 10 second pass. Just kinda cool to drive there, go through tech, let air out of drag radials, and make a 10 second run with a pump gas n/a box stock parts hydro roller car. Just me maybe though :p
mike.

5.0 HOtrain said:
Thanx Rick, havent thought about mounting the cooler there. I would love to see a 10 second pass. Just kinda cool to drive there, go through tech, let air out of drag radials, and make a 10 second run with a pump gas n/a box stock parts hydro roller car. Just me maybe though :p
mike.

:hail2: that would be awesme, always been a goal of mine :D