Need Some Guidance!

Auto Reverse

Jul 22, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I started a thread on here last Saturday explaining that after my last run of the night at the track my car was running crappy. Rough idle, loss of power through RPM range. Any how, last night I did a compression test and found cylinders 3 and 4 at 30 of pressure. All others were 150 - 160. What caused the problem was 3-4 seconds of a very lean cindtion while sprating a 125 shot on my D.S.S. stroker motor with AFR 165 heads. Basically, the hose popped off the fuel pressure regulator.

My dilema now is, do I take the heads off the car in hopes of a bad head gasket, or based on what happened is it likely I really damaged the car and it could be more serious like bent valves, messed up rings or even pisitons? If it's just a head gasket then I can afford to fix the car now, if not, it sits for the rest of the season.

What do you guys think? Just head gasket. Symtoms when starting, turns and idles fine, very rich smell of fuel, but no smoke coming out the exhaust. Also, I could not see any oil in coolant or collant in oil. My buddy with some mechanical skill says it probably just a bad gasket between 3 and 4. He also tell me with stud mount heads this is an easy job to pull the cylinder head off. Is he correct? Thanks in advance for you help.

• Sponsors (?)

Quick question for you experienced guys! I want to do a poor man's leak down test. Please tell me if you think this will work or am I wasting my time. I only have a compression tester, but I do have a small compressor. I want to take the compressor and run some air through the compression testers fitting into the cylinder and listen for where the air is going. However, since cylinder 3 and 4 are the ones that failed the compression test couldn't I stuff the air in one cylinder, place my finger over the other and see if it builds up pressure? At that point it would seem most likely a bad head gasket right?