Need Some Help

DEADCELL

Apr 5, 2016
Jacksonville
So I was driving along and had what felt like a sudden loss of power and the car started to backfire but it would only backfire when I was off the accelerator. It was like the clutch was slipping I've never had a vehicle act like that when the clutch started to slip?!? By the time I made it home I could smell burnt clutch but here's the funny thing I let the car sit for about a week until I could order a new clutch kit. I have the new clutch now and decided to see how it would drive and it drove like nothing was wrong?! So do I need to replace the clutch or start trouble shooting other components that would cause these symptoms?

• Sponsors (?)

So I was driving along and had what felt like a sudden loss of power and the car started to backfire but it would only backfire when I was off the accelerator. It was like the clutch was slipping I've never had a vehicle act like that when the clutch started to slip?!? By the time I made it home I could smell burnt clutch but here's the funny thing I let the car sit for about a week until I could order a new clutch kit. I have the new clutch now and decided to see how it would drive and it drove like nothing was wrong?! So do I need to replace the clutch or start trouble shooting other components that would cause these symptoms?

I've seen clutches heat up and slip, then hold fine after they cooled off. Don't get your hopes up. Once it slips, it's toast. May as well change it out. As for the backfiring, maybe when the clutch was slipping, the revs didn't match the speed the vss was reading? I don't know..

Definitely replace the clutch- and resurface the flywheel.

Reactions: 1 user