need some rear end help.

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
took the car out for a ride the other day and noticed a clunking noise(best way to put it) coming from the rear of the car. I noticed it while in a curve so on a straight section i weaved the car back and forth. It makes the noise when the cars wheight is on the drivers side rear wheel when weaving, goes away when unwheighted comes back once I weave it back onto that side. It sounds like a clunking binding sound, the car makes no noise while driving straight, over bumps etc.

I jacked it up and checked the drive shaft, u-joints(replaced last month and tight), rear suspension(new shocks and quads also last month all tight and fine). the brakes which are drums where replaced also with new ebrake cables all check out fine. we also did new rear end fluid and additive, we didn't find any chipped gears or metal in the pumpkin and the clutches looked good.

I did notice though when I had it up and looking at things when I grabbed the wheel and pulled out on it I could pull the axle back until the c clip stop it and then push it back in, I know there is play in the axles but it seemed like alot maybe half inch if that. how much slop is aloud, how much should you be able to push/pull on the axles with the wheels on? if it's alot what causes this to wearout? bad diff? oh yeah next to nothing for up and down movement so the bearing isn't blown maybe just on it's way out?

now the direction I'm leaning towards for the noise:

1. bad wheel bearing in the rear, since it's only doing it when turning and putting the cars wheight on that side?

2. too much play in the axles and they are moving around? maybe the drums are binding from this?

I threw a couple of things out there but my looking at the noise #1 and if the play in the axles is way to much (it's has been many years since I have had rear wheel drive so I forget what feels normal)

• Sponsors (?)

1/2" seems like A LOT!! I've had 5 Ford 8.8 rear ends on different vehicles, with varying mileages. None of them have had more than 3/16" of play on the axles. Most were about 1/8". 1/2" is just about enough to completely expose the C-clip and allow it to drop off the axle shaft.

You might want to re-check your measurement, or open up your differential and make sure your carrier cross pin isn't worn out.

If you had a bad bearing you'd not only hear it all the time because its more of a rotational thing than a side load bearer, but you'd be leaking gear oil out the sides and into your drum brakes. Check the play with the pumpkin cover off and see how that looks. Do you get a clunking noise when you pull on the tire while its in the air?

I didn't measure it, was more of a guess buy how much it felt like it moved out. SmockDoiley when I pull in/out on the wheel the only thing I hear is the banging the if the c-clip, not really a clunk but a bang bang when going back and forth and this is on both sides. which probally gives some hint of how far I'm moving the axles in and out.

so to fix the sloppy axle problem then is to replace carrier pin to tighten them?

I'm going to pull the drum in the a.m. and post. but what if the seal is still good could the bearing be on it's way out?

what would could this noise under side load but no noise driving straight :shrug: . could the bearing be straining under the side load or is it the axle issue.

I'm not worrying about cleaning up the slop if it's the normal type of play. I'm trying to find the fix if it's out of spec. I'm assuming from the responces the carrier pin may be the problem and I'm wondering if that is the repair needed for this problem.

86bluecobra the c-clip eliminators are a good idea but I'm not ready to go that route if not needed, the carrier pin is an easier fix and more in budget right now.

I still really need help on my noise though, bearing, not bearing? remember noise is during side load of the wheel in the rear. I need your guys help.

dustang83 rearend changed to the 3:73's 10yrs ago by 2nd owner car now has 106,000 miles. car was fine this just started a few days ago.

also want to add no vibrations, no whine again nothing unless I weave the car side to side to side load the rear end, I'm stumped..........