Need storker opinions

bluevenom867 said:
331 will be less streetable IF you have it externaly balanced with a 50Z balancer.But it's difficult to find a 331 kit with a 50Z balancer anyways so no problems.

I don't know how you figure one balancer will be more streetable than the other. They are both balanced to the same specs. Just have to take off more weight with the 50 oz. Also I've never seen a kit come with a balancer unless it was an assembled shortblock.

• Sponsors (?)

50Z 331 kit that crank itself wieghs slightly less because of the reduced mass of the internal counter wieghts but has added stress on the snout.28Z kit crank wieght slightly more but less stress on the snout.

That is what I was thinking. Although there is less weight on the ends there will be more in the crank itself, but I think it is better that way. I am looking into doing a rebuild soon and I am thinking that a stroker is the way to go. I'm going to start saving money until this engine gives out. If I can afford it I would shoot for a 351 based stroker but I doubt that will happen.

Legendary said:
So what I'm gathering is durablility isn't really a concern. That's nice to hear. I'm still leaning towards the 331 but it's a big money project.

I get what you're saying about the durability issues that plagued stroker motors for the longest time. Things have certainly improved since those days but having said that... For everyday driving I personally would opt for the 331 as opposed to the 347 due only to the Rod angle. Yeah, I know about all the offset pins and yadda yadda that's supposed to fix all of that but I'd just have more peace of mind in the compromise. It sounds as if you're leaning more towards a docile setup than the meanest fastest machine on the block. Personally, my final goal is 500 flywheel HP. There's lots of ways to get that power out of a 331 (NA, blown, turbo, etc). So just decide how much power you want to eventually have and go from there. I don't actually recall too many instances where a 347 made that much more power than a 331 anyway (with similar setups).

I'm sure all sorts of folks will jump onto that last line. Let the games begin. hehe

Well I want a reliable car. If I have to give up some horses for it so be it. I want a low 12 second car on street tires. I wouldn't mind dancing around the 11.99 mark. 350 rwhp would be good for me. Trying to do it with ported gt-40's and maybe the new bbk intake.

If I don't turbo mine, and still want more umph in the future, I will definitely build a stroker. I wouldn't be afraid of either 347 or 331 -- just get a good kit, and work with a machinist who knows what they're doing with the stroker. No reason it can't last just about as long as a 302 would under similar operating conditions.

I hope to get a 331 this winter, but I know it won't workout. I will rebuild the 302 though, that is a promise. Maybe move into the 306 range.

But anyways, I have never heard of 331s lasting 7-10k miles. I'm sure you could make it last that long though...

let me see if i can throw some help in here...im no expert or anything...

one of the previous issues of mm&ff or 5.0 magazine ran an article called "331 ways to waste an LS1" or somethin if i remember it correctly. i recall a paragraph that said how the 331 generally makes more horses while the 347 makes more torque. the differences are 10hp/10lbs. i think it said or so and since they didnt need any more torque they went with the 331 plus some reliability issues it had said. i dunno if im remembering it right but you guys should check it out...it was one of the recent ones i thought...maybe this month??? :shrug:

just tryin to help :nice:

like everyone has mentioned, as long as the motor is built right a 331 or 347 will not have any reliability promblems as compared to the 306. The horsepower numbers are relatively similiar. I have 10,000 miles on my 347 and at least a couple hundred passes at the dragstrip spraying nitrous and I have no problems. I run 12.00 with 50 shot and DOT slicks. I am sure you could do the same in the 331 but I do believe in the end the 347 might have more potential. Just look at Rick Anderson's 347 NA that made 450+ hp in MMFF. good luck

Also the old 347's are known for being oil consuming. Just make sure that the oil controll ring does not intersect the wrist pin. That or get a good set of rings (like Total Seal) that are designed to reduce/minimize blowby. You may also hear about them causing extreme cylinder wear but most kits are advanced enough to minimize wear.

The only reason most guys go toa 28oz balance with a stroker is due to the amount of material that needs to be removed.

For instance a SCAT 4340 crank, 4340 H-beams and a light aftermarket piston will need around 300 grams removed.

There are factory motors with worse rod angles and ratios out there run for 200,000 miles. Durability is not an issue with the newer style kits with the correct pistons.

I have a 331 as my daily driver and I have no issues other than the current no start when hot :bang:

I did a lot a research before I bought my motor. I felt 331 was more practical for my needs. And my buddy happened to be selling his with 1800 miles on it to go bigger.

I think you are really reaching for 350rwhp if you are planning on reusing your cast iron GT40 heads.

My 331 with afr's, tfs street intake and stage 1 cam put down 311hp. I did have some other tuning issues that needed addressed but its still a long ways from 350.

But like everyone else has said. Depends on who and how the combo is built! Good luck!

Legendary said:
I guess my next should be what are some good kits out there? Should I peice the stroker parts myself or just get a kit with everything I need? What are the good brands?

I got my kit through CHP. Scat rods and crank and CHP Pistons. Good ****.

Rick 91GT said:
Getting a kit is really the best way, no mistakes on compatability. What do you want, I can help....

[email protected]

I'll shoot you an email. I'm far from buying anything right now but I like to do my research early and start saving up!

giddyup306 said:
I got my kit through CHP. Scat rods and crank and CHP Pistons. Good ****.

They have a website? I always see companies in the magazine ads.

Any more good kits?