need tire advice

spree

Apr 20, 2003
los angeles
I just won a set of 18x9/18x10 bullitt wheels for my car on ebay. I can definitely use some help in picking out the right tire and the right size for these wheels...

I want a good summer tire that also does somewhat well (as in better than the stock gatorbacks) in the rain. My car is a daily driver, and it rains once in a while in SoCal. I don't want a drag radial.

Here are my choices for sizes in the front....

245/40/18
255/40/18
255/35/18
265/35/18

and for the back...

285/35/18
295/35/18

So far I'm leaning towards Kumho MX's (245/40/18 and 295/35/18). Those would cost me $816 before tax/shipping.

I'm also looking into some Goodyear F1 GS-D3, but those are noticeably more expensive. It looks like Nitto makes the 555 in those sizes too. Cost is somewhat important, but I'd be willing to dish out a bit extra if it's really worth it.

Please let me know if I should be considering any other tires and what sizes would fit best on these rims....thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm quite impressed with my wife's tires in the rain (and dry as well) - they are Bridgestone Potenza RE-750. They are wider than my stock gatorbacks and she has 4.10s, but it has much more grip, dry or wet. I actually feel safe in her car in the rain, but not in mine.

i had the MX's on my 95 z28. 275/40/17 never had a problem hooking up once they warmed up. i never drove the car in the rain so i can t comment on that aspect. a friend of mine had 275-40-17 gs-d3s on his 01 z28 he always raved about how good they were in rain and snow. although his car had traction control. have you considered the tires that come factory on the 03-04 cobra? they seem to be pretty nice, but pricey id imagine.

twogts4us said:
I'm quite impressed with my wife's tires in the rain (and dry as well) - they are Bridgestone Potenza RE-750. They are wider than my stock gatorbacks and she has 4.10s, but it has much more grip, dry or wet. I actually feel safe in her car in the rain, but not in mine.

yeah those look like good tires but they don't come in the sizes that I need...

Spree - I recently got the cliche Nitto Triple 5's on my 98 GT and I have to say I really like them. My car is not a daily driver and I live in the desert (arizona) so the tires will never see rain, so i can't speak to that. But on dry pavent they are the best tires I have ever had.