Need to add/replace fuel pump

aaronbeach

Aug 18, 2006
95 Mustang GT

Engine was cutting out while driving at high speed, then would need to sit for many hours in order to start and drive again. Engine is sparking and turning, so I thought it was a fuel/air issue.

I cleaned the mass air flow filter as it was terribly dirty.. ran better, but same problem
replaced fuel filter, again... ran better, but same engine cut out

seems to clearly be the fuel pump, I talked to a freind and he said an easier way to solve the problem without taking off the fuel tank and changing the fuel pump, was to add another electric fuel pump, in-line...

has anybody else done this / had this problem?
Which pump should I use... and any pointers on installation would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

aaronbeach said:
he said an easier way to solve the problem without taking off the fuel tank and changing the fuel pump, was to add another electric fuel pump, in-line...

This is a perfect example of a band-aid fix. If you think the pump is bad, replace it. Changing the fuel pump is really no big deal. You just need an extra set of hands to lower the tank.

Your friend must have an old Jag (they often used two pumps on a toggle switch - you could toggle to the second pump when the first one crapped out).

I agree - just replace the intank pump. A Walbro 155 LPH is 65 bucks shipped.

See the how-to thread for a write up by 5 Spd GT on doing a pump swap. Have a new tank grommet on hand too.

Good luck.

You don't need extra hands if your tank is nearly empty... I did it by myself without much trouble. I'll also second the filler tank grommet replacement. Not replacing that will promote leaks...

Rick