need to get my a/c working

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
my a/c hasn't worked since i bought the car in april. there was an aluminum hose that was too close to the header and it melted. it is now fixed. i don't know if there is anything else wrong.

i think i should just try putting freon in there and seeing if it works now. is this a good idea or should i check something else first?

my mechanic says i need to evacuate the system first.

what kind of freon do i need? and how do i evacuate the a/c system before i put the freon in?

• Sponsors (?)

The refridgerant is r-134a.

You need to get a vacuum pump and see if the system holds a vacuum(rent @ autozone, $200 but you get your money back). If it does hold a vacuum, then it will take refridgerant. Put the correct amount in, and see what happens. You might want to add some oil to the system, but I am not sure if it needs it.
Scott

if it's been open for awhile you should probably add oil to the system. A can of stop leak for a/c systems doesn't hurt either. With the system empty it would also be a good time to change out the orings at the fittings as well.

Agree about adding oil.

But stop leak isn't necessary if the system holds vacuum. That means there are no leaks, so no worries.

But I guess if a leak does come to pass, the stop leak might prevent it. But I have no idea if that is true.
Scott

i just replaced all the components of my ac system. It was a pain trying to find the manifold. Autozone was like "thats not a part for the car", I was like "shut up" :D However I did leave it up to the pros at the radiator shop to pressure test the car for an hour, evac, and recharge the system. Like said earlier in the thread, if they system was open for any extended period of time, you definitly want to flush the system of any debris that could have gotten in and add some pag oil to lube things up.

if the system has been open for a while you will need a new accumulator, because the media inside will have absorb moisture from the outside air; thus, it will not be able to properly remove moisture from inside the system.