need truck and gt500 advice

DrSmith

Sep 2, 2004
Maine
I might need therapy over this one. I currently have an 06 gt, which I love, and I have an f150, 4 x4, 1996 with 80 k miles. The truck was purchased as a beater, and I have come to really enjoy it, the four wheel drive is great on the maine roads. The problem is that it needs body work, and the interior isn't much to shout about either. my wife has gone (twice) to purchase me a new truck ( God bless her) but is worried she will get me the wrong truck. I am also wondering about waiting and trading in my gt for a gt500 when the dealers wise up.
My questions are: Is there a decent truck that has four wheel drive, that has an cab tht will seat four AND an on the floor stick? Ford no longer makes a stick four wheel drive. I would lke something sporty, and the truck doesn't have to be a ford. Second: I have never driven a gt500, and wonder if it is really worth it, also I don't know how insane I would be using it as a daily driver. I am totally anal about how I park my mustang now, I'd be a freak with one of those. I was going to just put a blower and mods on my car, but I don't know if a gt500 would be better in the long run, I'm planning on never getting rid of this/these cars.
What do you all think?
sorry for the spelling or typos, I can't see the screen really well,
Thanks guys,
Doc

• Sponsors (?)

if you are going to keep the car forever i would keep the gt and mod it..it will be faster and cheaper..as far as the truck goes you can get the superduty fords in 4x4 with a 6 speed i believe i could be wrong though..if i am the only other truck i can think of that would have a manual and 4x4 and seat 4 people is the toyota tacoma

Imy wife has gone (twice) to purchase me a new truck ( God bless her) but is worried she will get me the wrong truck....
:notnice: :notnice: :notnice: :nono: :nono:
You're not worried she'll come home with a truck she thinks is "cute"???

....I have never driven a gt500, and wonder if it is really worth it, also I don't know how insane I would be using it as a daily driver.
:nice: :nice: :D :D

You will get a lot of die-hard Shelby guys on here telling you to not use it as a daily driver... for fear that it wont be worth $250,000 at Barrett Jackson in 30 years.. :rolleyes:

Regardless... I use my Shelby GT as a daily driver, except in the rain... I am not concerned about mileage.. But at the same time, I couldn't live without a truck..

I would keep the F150.. 80,000 miles is pretty low, except when it comes to the tranny.. who cares how it looks.. If you want to impress people, give them a ride in the 500..

Listen I'm a big Ford nut and I love Shelby but the GT-500 is not worth it. I'ld modify your 06 to they way you like it, your wheels, your horsepower, your suspension, interior trim etc.... as for the Truck I believe the imports have manual trannys in there light duty versions but they are wimpy NO 1/2 ton can tow and haul as much as an F-150 even though most have more power....go figure. Is manual that important? :shrug: :flag:

Well, I would suggest keeping the truck since it serves you well and not too worried about it. If you get another ding or dent, who cares? Think of it as a favorite sweatshirt or a broken in pair of shoes that you wear to death and don't care what anyone else thinks. Think of it as 'old faithful.' If trucks could talk and you got rid of it, it might say "What did I do to deserve this?" Yes, I'm sorta mental about that!

It you opt for a GT500 enjoy it. Doesn't matter what it will be worth in 30 years. How old will you be then? You'll be saving it for someone else to enjoy. Also, there is uncertainy as to their future worth. Since you asked, if you are really anal about your '06, it might not be that good an idea to get the GT500.

There are 2 schools of thought out there regarding the GT500. First there are those that think there is a glut and the bubble is going to pop. Laying in wait. Then there are others (a lot of them car dealers) that think when Mr. Shelby goes to the big race track in the sky, any with his name on it will be worth mega bucks.

thanks for the input

Thanks guys, No, I'm not worried that my wife would buy me a wimpy truck, just that it wouldn't have the options I want, and she would pay too much.
My truck is dented, which is ok, but it has that look where you know in one year all the rust will show through. Once it starts, it will really need a new paint job. I just don't know if I have the heart to go through the whole thing...but then again, I don't really want to buy a new one either.
I really love the transmission on this thing, and as winter is longer than summer, here in Maine, I'd like to continue driving a stick.
As to the gt500, I am really on the fence, I wanted to love that car, but it is not quite that great.
thanks guys,
Doc

Save your money and get a Camaro when it comes out. I'm willing to bet that the Z28/SS (stock) will be able to outrun a stock GT500. H/C/I and it will be able to destroy most things on the street, modded or not.

I doubt it. Check out the comparisons between the GT500 and Corvette. The Shelby runs .1 sec and 1 mph in the quarter mile. They won't make a stock Camaro as fast or faster than the Corvette.

For the car i would keep and mod your 06 heck with spending that much $ on a shelby if you already have a gt.

Now as far as the trucks go if you wanted a mid size truck I had a 05 Tacoma and that thing was a machine in the snow and whatever else you could throw at it. 6spd manual trans but it had a knob for 4wd. The tacoma is the only mid size truck i would buy... skipping over to 3/4 ton trucks because i wouldnt own a full size half ton I would look into the ford or dodge. both companies have 6spd manuals with manual shift transfer cases in they gassers and diesels the only trucks I would recommend you stay away from would be the 03 Ford 6.0 powerstrokes the first model year was a night mare for problems but after that were straightened out