Negotiating Extended Warranty

SillyStanger

Apr 8, 2005
After doing a search on extended warranties, it seems that there's wide room for negotiating an extended warranty. I'm speaking specifically about Ford warranties as I'm not interested in third party vendors. I'm wondering if there's any general formula to apply here (as there are many plans and durations of coverage). I've seen posts that claim that the dealerships cost on these warranties are generally half the list value (can refer to www.fordwarrantys.com for listed prices). Is this roughly true?? Should I plan on making a firm and final offer of say 60%??? i.e. I have my eye on the 6yr/60k PremiumCare extended warranty that lists for $985... do I say $600 or I'm not interested? Thanks for any thoughts....

• Sponsors (?)

I was a Finance Manager for Ford for awhile.........the cost is usually half of what they tell you, sometimes they will even triple it.........depends on the F&I Manager (how much $$$ do they want to make that day) and Customer (nice vs. jerk).

That site you were looking at is a FORD DEALER.........you can purchase an ESP warranty directly from FORD, you do not have to go through a dealer.

http://www.genuineflmservice.com/default.asp?page=esp_home

that site you linked says my VIN "doesn't belong to a Ford vehicle"...

anyway - why not just buy from Fordwarrantys.com? Steep discounts after they email you a coupon - hard to beat.

I'm getting ready to cancel my ESP, just because I'm having a change of heart about having one in the first place.... but if I were you I'd say "no thanks" to the F&I guy and go to Fordwarrantys.com and buy there.

Mark05GTVert said:
that site you linked says my VIN "doesn't belong to a Ford vehicle"...

anyway - why not just buy from Fordwarrantys.com? Steep discounts after they email you a coupon - hard to beat.

I'm getting ready to cancel my ESP, just because I'm having a change of heart about having one in the first place.... but if I were you I'd say "no thanks" to the F&I guy and go to Fordwarrantys.com and buy there.

E-mail a coupon..................
Steep Discounts from a dealer..................
What is the catch??? If it sounds too good, it is!

Try and see for yourself wildchick. Go to the site, put in the email address you hardly ever use, and then leave without buying (but you can see the prices).

You'll get an email with a code for an extra $175-185 off that price, just a code word and they calculate the discount.

If I find out those guys are a scam that's cool - it seemed legit to me. My dealer simply said "we can't sell it for that much, but if you want we'll re-write your contract without the ESP and you can buy from them". I passed...

The finance manager is scorecarded on attachment percent, if you let them make a little money on the esp they are happy . when I bought my car ( 3/27 ) I told him my brother in law was a finance manager in another state and i would by it from him, the local dealer sold it at 50.00 over cost. What i did not tell him is that my brother in law is at a honda dealer and it would be a third party .