New 04 Cobra...clunk when I engage 1st gear

• Sponsors (?)

Happens to us 99 owners because apparently ford used the wrong size bolts in the rear end or something, but I am not sure if that is what causes it on your car. I would not worry about, because I hear it all the time from various cobra owners with the IRS...its a real bitch some time.

I have a 99 GT as well and yes it's does this....not nearly as violent

Yeah I have a 99 GT as well....and it's kinda crapy with that old tranny...and reverse...forget about it. LOL

Yeah I was just concerend it was not raped in it's first 45 miles at the dealership.

Agreed

Did you get both short throw and the long throw?

I saw an advertisement that stated that you can change the shaft with in seconds.

p.s. did you keep your stock knob...and boot?

And how is the firmness still tight?

I FREAKING love the clutch on this car. AWESOME....took a little getting used too...well still ...but man this is awesome. I took a co-worker out today in the car...and he is "Mr. Car guy...Japanamation all the way....snob about american muscle.....he screamed like a little girl! LOL He was like ahhh I don't want to drive this car....LOL

I have a hard time getting into 3rd :flag: and 6th sometimes.

p.s.s. I was looking at the Kenne Bell 2.75 pully nice....:) Steel and all that! Did you change your crank out as well or just the Eaton pully....

I seem to remember several Cobra owners mentioning these issues over in the NW forum.

If you don't like transmission noise keep the stock shifter. Aftermarket shifters transmit noise and vibrations from the tranny to your hand and interior of the car.

I have 34 miles on mine, and it has that clunk. Tried another at the dealership, and it also had it. Talked with the service manager, and he confirmed it's normal. Sounds like a POS. :bang:

Really?

So does the Bulliet have the T-56 as well?

My old 99GT is a bear sometimes to get into reverse...but shifting through the series is relatively easy. Wish I would have put a PRO 5.0 on her. I will on the Cobra. I don't think it will void my warranty. Hell I will put the stock back on when I take it in.

OregonMustang
Does the Bulliet have the T-56 as well?

My old 99GT is a bear sometimes to get into reverse...but shifting through the series is relatively easy. Wish I would have put a PRO 5.0 on her. I will on the Cobra. I don't think it will void my warranty. Hell I will put the stock back on when I take it in.

No, the Bullitt has long gone. I have a new Cobra. :lol:

Doh!

Sorry I could not tell from your sig..."Black Bullitt"

I did not see it in your profile either. I can see a nice profile change is in order!

I'm a dumb A$$ sorry.

Although the Bullitt is very nice ride. It just was not what I was looking for. I test drove one last week as well. Nice very nice cars....I was just looking for the ponies...:)

Sweet...you have a Terminator? :spot:

There is a TSB on this issue. I am waiting on the parts from Ford to have mine fixed.

TSB - 04-13-4 Transmission Rattle Noise or Difficult to Shift - Tremec T56 6 Speed Manual

Issue:
Some 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra vechicles equipped with a Tremec T56 6 speed manual transmission, may exhibit a rattle noise or a difficult to shift condition. This may be due to a cracked or broken release bearing guide tube.

Action:
To service, install a revised transmission adapter cover plate, The revised adapter cover has the release bearing guide tube already installed. Part-number 3r3z-7005-aa.

The part is on national back order.

Patrick

This question was asked over at Svtperformance.com, and they said it is normal. I guess a lot of cobras do it, must be a t56 thing. They also said that if you hold down the clutch and wait a second then it will not clunk. Have you tryed that? Somebody actully started a poll on whos cobra clunked, the 03-04 cobras are also known for rear end clunk/vibe.

So should I contact my dealer and have them fix it?

Hello,

So did you order a part or what?

If so what? And how did you convince them that thier was a problem?

Sweet called my dealer...hopefully they will order the part.

Thanks!
:spot:

My car has the same problem. What do I need to do to get the dealer to fix it instead of blowing me off? Also, occasionally when I go to second there is a slight grinding noise. No, Im not grinding the gears, but the noise omost seems to come from the shifter or linkage.

Yes, the grinding is exactly what I was talking about while you're in 1st and 2nd..
Again see the following (from above):

TSB - 04-13-4 Transmission Rattle Noise or Difficult to Shift - Tremec T56 6 Speed Manual

Issue:
Some 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra vechicles equipped with a Tremec T56 6 speed manual transmission, may exhibit a rattle noise or a difficult to shift condition. This may be due to a cracked or broken release bearing guide tube.

Action:
To service, install a revised transmission adapter cover plate, The revised adapter cover has the release bearing guide tube already installed. Part-number 3r3z-7005-aa.

The part is on national back order.

Print this out and take it to your dealer. They will order the parts and install-
Good luck.