New Clutch

jwoods3

Jul 1, 2007
Chicago
I will be doing some improvements to my 03 Cobra. I want to put in a new clutch, nothing crazy just an upgrade from stock. I also am looking at some drag radials and possibly a 50-100 shot of nitrous. I have a 10th anniversery so I want to keep it pretty stock (thats why I am not doing any major changes). I have looked at Summit and Jegs but need a little direction. Some links or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jayson

• Sponsors (?)

I will be doing some improvements to my 03 Cobra. I want to put in a new clutch, nothing crazy just an upgrade from stock. I also am looking at some drag radials and possibly a 50-100 shot of nitrous. I have a 10th anniversery so I want to keep it pretty stock (thats why I am not doing any major changes). I have looked at Summit and Jegs but need a little direction. Some links or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jayson

Clutch: Centerforce Dual Friction. I have done 3 clutch jobs on my 3 Mustangs. They all have gotten CFDX. Reason: Not one problem, they hold great power and they have an easy pedal effort.

Tires: If keeping IRS which I'm sure you will. I would go Nitto's because they are sticky, but not as sticky as M/T's ET streets. Those might break something on your IRS. Many 03-04 guys go with the Goodyear Eagle GSD3's I think it is....those are a regular street tire, but they are soft and sticky.

Go fast Mods: I would not go NOS because you want to keep it mostly stock. NOS requires you to mount a bottle, and run many wires and things like that. I would change the pulley because you can always change it back, and it will not look like it was ever modded. You can also chip it for the pulley and then pull the chip out if you want it stock. Summit and Jegs are great sites BTW!:nice:

Just my .02!!

Does changing the pully dramatically change the life of the car? I am guessing not so much since the s/c is rarely on but I am just curious. Thank you for your response.
The supercharger is ALWAYS on! It's just venting excess boost through the bypass when not needed. Adding a smaller pulley increases the RPM of the blower. Higher blower RPM results in additional heat produced. Additional heat directly impacts engine longevity.

U.M.

Hey a fellow 10th owner! :cheers:

Clutch - if I was replacing mine I would go with stock, its a tough decision on clutch choice good luck with that one!

DRs - if you drive the car in the rain with DRs you will crash, your car will be destroyed, and you could very well die... I would recommend BFG KDW or BFG KDWS if your car is a daily driver...

Nitrous - I would not bother, instead consider an SCT XCal2 with a good custom dyno tune, you will get some good power and not have to be filling bottles...

Also, before you do any of this stuff you need to get your car in perfect running condition if you have not already.

IMHO the first mods you should do is MGW shifter, Fiore firewall adjuster, and Fiore quadrant. Then get the Xcal and custom tune...

Let's see some pics of that Cobra!

Is it black, silver or red?

Hey a fellow 10th owner! :cheers:

Clutch - if I was replacing mine I would go with stock, its a tough decision on clutch choice good luck with that one!

DRs - if you drive the car in the rain with DRs you will crash, your car will be destroyed, and you could very well die... I would recommend BFG KDW or BFG KDWS if your car is a daily driver...

Nitrous - I would not bother, instead consider an SCT XCal2 with a good custom dyno tune, you will get some good power and not have to be filling bottles...

I agree with comments here, but you will not die with DR's. Nittos are your best bet if you got caught in rain. M/T ET Streets and BFG DR's, will make you crash. They are the worst tire for wet conditions. The BFG KDW and KDWS are great tires for wet conditions. I would still go with a CFDX clutch, I would not stick to a stock clutch.

Whether you listen to our opinions or not, it sounds like you may mod the car reguardless. It is up to you on Nitrous or a pulley, but either way they will push your stock clutch to the limit. CFDX handles over 90% more power than stock with EASY pedal effort.

I will post pics this weekend when I have it in its best condition. I recently found out it has a 2.90 pulley on it so I probally will just be doing the clutch and nittos. Thanks for all of your input.

I listened to people on line and spec reps who sold me on the 3+. The Spec 3+ is great on the street after you put a good 500-800 miles on it but at the track it feels like it is on/off. If thats what you want its great.

I am getting a new trans with 26 spline so I need a new clutch and I already have a spec 2 ready to go.

The 3+ is too much clutch for my car set up (qa1s/snubber/dragradials or et streets) I experienced terrible hop that i didnt have before with a FMS racing clutching. Then with the mt et streets No hop but no good launches either.

FMS Racing clutch = 1.63 60fts

Spec 3+ with the same set up = best of 1.80 60ft this season (with lots of practice)

Consider your driving style and cars set up when getting a clutch. (if you feather or ride the clutch at all when launching forget about it...YOU CANT DO IT with a strong clutch) Dont just go with a real strong one because it will last...unless you dont race much and dont care about launching.

I just went with a RAM HD clutch with a RAM aluminum flywheel. If you call RAM they can put a kit together for you that is perfect for your driving style and purpose. It has a stock clutch feel and is very tight. But I love autocross as opposed to drag racing so you may not want the aluminum flywheel. But RAM is worth checking out.