New Guy..

r_kim84

Nov 4, 2013
Hey all I'm new here just purchased a 91 fox lx hatch with 5.0 5 SPD. I have quite a few plans for it.. gauges. 5 lug/disc swap and I'm going to repaint it. I also got a trradstone turbo kit(.need to replace turbo) and was wanting some opinions. Should I do a complete overhaul of my 5.0 do aluminum heads, intake and turbo.... or.. I have a 351(not sure w,m,c) and throw it in with some goodies. I want it to haul but want descent street ability. I just wasn't able to find much on 351 here..

• Sponsors (?)

Also have already.. 1.6 roller rockers I * think* 42 lb injectors 3" pro tube Maf. None installed

Attachments

• IMG_20131104_170952_100.jpg
    IMG_20131104_170952_100.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 43
Do you know what the maf is tuned for? Or is it just the housing and not the element? If the car came w turbo setup I'd guess they'd be 42 lb. I'm not expert though just making an assumption. Also I say stick w 302 tis lighter

Did those parts come with the car? And did you say you already have a 351 sitting aroud? What did it come out of and what kind of condition is it in? I guess if it was me I'd run the motor that was in the better shape and throw a topend on it. Was the 302 already set up for a turbo or did you get the kit seperate?

302, you don't need to put heads on it with a turbo kit. You will make enough power to split the block if the right turbo is purchased. I plan to boost my stock motor and make 400-450rwhp. Prob try to stay on the lower side to be safe. I bought 60lb injectors just for a little extra. The 42's should be ok though.

The 351 block has a higher capacity for hp. The block is stronger also somewhere around 7-800 hp is block splitting territory. The 302 is somewhere around 500hp. Also you will need to change the intake,moter mounts,dizzy,and oil pan to run a 351 and probably a different hood. The 351 swap is obviously more complicated than a drop in 302. It really depends on your goals with the car. You're going to need bigger fuel system,etc with a turbo either way. Minimum of a 255lph pump(if under 500hp) 42#inj with matching maf,fpr,etc. are both of these engines stock shortblocks?

If you're starting from scratch and want to run a turbo I'd do the 302. Keep it under block splitting territory with a good tune etc. or build a n/a 351 stroker like a 408 and make 550hp. With either I'd at least tear them down and rebuild them with forged pistons,etc. and throw some good alum heads on with a good cam. Also you're going to need an upgraded trans also. A stock trans will get destroyed by either

If the 302 is an 87-92 block it already has forged pistons. The 351 doesn't. Fwiw if I was going to have to buy a rotating assembly,machine the block,and buy new accessories(fuel system,dizzy,good oil pan,etc) I'd build a 408 pump gas engine and have fun on the street/strip. The limits of a 302 block are to restricting for me. A well built 408 with the proper trans,suspension,chassis,and tires can run 10s all day at the strip with descent street manners.