New headgasket still overheats under throttle.

Danny's 94Cobra

Oct 20, 2004
:shrug: I just completed swapping out my third set of headgaskets on my car. It is a 94 cobra with Vortech s/c. It seems to keep burning my coolant passages on the gaskets. The first two time I replaced them with stock Fel-pros this time I went with Mr Gasket ultra seals. I thought I had a cooling issue so I replaced by radiator with a Fluidyne my water pump with a Kool flow from summit, 180 thermostat by Mr Gasket, new hoses, and wired my fan on high with a relay. I test drove the car and it felt great so I got on it a little in third gear and let off after only about 7 lbs of boost however after that I noticed my temperature gauge climb quickly to about 240 (Autmeter mechanical) These seems to be the problem I had before so I no longer think it is a cooling issue. I don't think my car is leaning out I have a walbro 255 intank and a T-rex inline pump I also have 30# injectors with a pro-m mass air meter. I dont hear any pinging or detonation. Could my timing be to advanced? Currently I believe it is at 16 with my boost timing control set at 1 degree per pound. I do not want to damage my gaskets so I will probably stay of the throttle until I get it checked. Could my problem that it need a chip custom tuned? I am running by stock computer but the car has excellent
drivability and idle the only problem seems to be when I get on the throttle. Aslo what temprature should my car reach on my temp. gauge after a 1/4 mile
pass? I would appreciate any advise.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you putting the HG's on the correct way direction wise. You could be blocking the coolant passages if you are facing both HG's to the (front) as written on the HG's. One is torward the front and the other faces the opposite direction. I have a PMS and my temp says 184* and my electric autometer reads 200-206*. My stock gauge reads M and my fan kicks on @ 215-220 according to my autometer.

Detonation is usually what will cause your HG's to blow but if you didn't have the heads checked then you could be not sealed up good if the heads are warped or you have the wrong torque.