New hood lift kit

• Sponsors (?)

scrming said:
wow.. those rods look awful loooooooooong... LOL!

Here's another direct bolt on... They were actually installing them at the car show today...

http://www.mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/hoodprop.php
i'm not much for the brackets on the MRT hood lift. so far, the best looking one is the redline, but i dont like having to drill holes. real bummer if you have a 'glass hood.

bigcat said:
i'm not much for the brackets on the MRT hood lift. so far, the best looking one is the redline, but i dont like having to drill holes. real bummer if you have a 'glass hood.

I agree, the brackets on the MRT are kinda ugly.

Well it came in today. Got it installed. It was a simple bolt-on, took all of 15 minutes, maybe less. Looks really nice, I didn't take pics because you can see what it looks like from the Ebay ad. The thing I like about it is that it doesn't get in the way at all. It's so low profile that you could work on the side of the car and it wouldn't get in your way.

Nice, Jimp!

Are the struts strong enough to lift the hood by themselves? Or is it necessary to lift the hood and help on the way up?

My trunk always needs some help...kinda surprised at that, actually.

Hammy said:
Nice, Jimp!

Are the struts strong enough to lift the hood by themselves? Or is it necessary to lift the hood and help on the way up?

My trunk always needs some help...kinda surprised at that, actually.

I have to lift the hood about 2/3 of the way up and then the struts take over. There is oil built into the strut and it lubricates itself each time the hood is raised and lowered. I'm thinking that after a few times it will open even easier.

Cool. I actually read their site closer, and it says it will lift itself from about the half way point or some such..actually makes sense now that I think about it more...it's best to need some manual lift to get it started.

How about closing the hood?

Very informative post! I'm thinking of this myself for the LBS.

For those who have done struts like these. How easy/hard is to close the hood? How do you do it? (Pull it down to a certain point and shove, pull it down to a certain point and drop, etc.)

ursastang said:
Very informative post! I'm thinking of this myself for the LBS.

For those who have done struts like these. How easy/hard is to close the hood? How do you do it? (Pull it down to a certain point and shove, pull it down to a certain point and drop, etc.)

It's pretty easy. Pull it down about halfway and let it drop.

shave35 said:
I just ordered a set! Should be nice when they arrive.

One little tip: the first step in the instructions is to collapse the strut to pre-lube it. These are 80lb struts and aren't easy to push down. I'm a pretty big guy and I had a hard time with it at first. At first I was trying to push it down with my palm, it hurt! I had to put something in between my palm and the strut, I had a sandal handy, lol. Hope this helps when you get it. :nice: