New Intercooler Setup and Fully Ported Intake

t3-svo

Apr 18, 2005
Mooresville NC
I am looking to get a new intercooelr setup. I am going to purchase a new intercooler to be front mounted. Any ideas which to get. I hear that a lot of people are using the volvo intercooler setup. Is there anything better than that for the money. Plus I am going to get a fully ported intake and 65mm throttle body from www.40bob.com. This is a factor in the setup that i choose. I still do not know which ported upperintake to get. The stock-like one or one of the ones that are twisted around to the front. I am also going to be purchaing a new BOV. Any ideas on a good one for this setup?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Volvo I/C's aren't very good, but their cheap. The big NPR is the best bang for your buck but they're around $200+. Super Coupe I/C's are good for front mount as are TC I/C's. If your gonna get Bob's intake anyway, get a rotated one. Makes plumbing up the I/C a piece of cake! Bailey and Forge both make good BOV's. BTW, dump the Flowmasters (too much backpressure) and get some Ultraflows.

Is there a vehicle (year/model) that we can use to search for these npr IC's?? (Something like: 1990-2000 izusu G450panel?? Places around here can't seem to find anything unless you can provide them with year make, model and color....

Don't forget that I having tubing and such available for the volvo/npr intercoolers, as well as the fact that I'm going to have a complete aftermarket style (custom IC) front mount intercooler setup available in a month or so for Mustangs and Turbo coupes.

evintho said:
Volvo I/C's aren't very good, but their cheap.
So explain why they aren't any good.

lamrith said:
Is there a vehicle (year/model) that we can use to search for these npr IC's?? (Something like: 1990-2000 izusu G450panel?? Places around here can't seem to find anything unless you can provide them with year make, model and color....
NPR diesels are all intercooled. '86 to present. NPR is also the same truck as GMC and Chevy w-4 cabover.

Ebay has several for under $200

Just to make your search harder, you need a VIN number to find any parts at the dealer.

I own 17 of these trucks. I am glad they do it that way, makes it very hard to get your stolen one fixed and easy to find the correct parts

My make model year comment was tergeted at the local autostores and even basic JY's. In the old days you could ask for a item and the guy behind the counter would be able to look up something that would work. Now none of them seem to know anything about cars, they are just parts number pullers....

Thanks for the info!!!

lamrith said:
My make model year comment was tergeted at the local autostores and even basic JY's. In the old days you could ask for a item and the guy behind the counter would be able to look up something that would work. Now none of them seem to know anything about cars, they are just parts number pullers....

Thanks for the info!!!
I've searched high and low for other suppliers than dealer, on NPR's there are a lot of dealer only parts. Places like Autozone and Advance Auto parts do not carry anything for these trucks, O'Rielys has filters hoses and brake pads and that is about it. There aren't many of them in the salvage yards as they seem to run forever or they are to far worn out to repair.

no5pointslow said:
That don;t look like plastic to me

View attachment 498463
Im running one there plastic......if you have a 100 dollars more and some extra time to search a npr box truck intercooler flows very well and is all metal. I have heard it flows well to about 500hp my problem with my set-up is im haveing problems blowing off my hose clamps....and im useing T-bolts. i havnt had any problems since i put on 2. im just to lazy to weld a thin lip on the end of the pipe. also the ranger rad im running does not have very good cooling capability.......it doesnt over heat but it doesnt cool as good as the T/C rad and double elec fan set-up i was running.thats ok cause a griffin rad and black magic fan are in the works.

i would get the npr by far the best bang for the buck. i think 40bob has a rotated and gutted intake that he sells. there may be a core charge im not sure. i would go with forge bov or bpv. a lot of people have had good luck with them. you can get the bpv if u think the woosh would get annoying and if it gets boring you can make a bov from the bpv. also stinger makes some nice parts. if u want a bov and choose either the npr or volvo he makes tubing with a bov bunge already built in. look at his website. there are also a lot of topics about the npr and volvo arguements on turboford.org. just search for it.

I measured a 2 psi drop using a Volvo as compared to my former front mounted TC IC. However it cools so much better than my TC IC it was worth it. And they are cheap. I run 24 psi on the LX and 22 psi on the SVO and both Volvo IC's have worked well for me.

I'm actually seriously considering buying Stingers kit for the 'vo down the road. I'd like to have the even BETTER cooling and no pressure drop...obviously.