New Starter Squealing

KreagerM

Nov 24, 2005
Maryland
I just did my T5 swap in my 65 but I'm haivng a squealing issue with my new starter. I'm using a reman starter for a 65 Automatic, bolts up perfectly but when I try to start the car I get a loud squeal while the starter in engaged. Sound goes away after car starts. I tried taking it out putting it back in, thinking it was not lined up properly, but that doesn't seem to fix it. I had the starter tested at Autozone and it sounded ok on their machine. Have any idea what is causing this squeal? misalligned?

Thanks for all your help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I had to shim mine out a little to keep it from staying engaged which made it squeal. I just made a shim to match the bellhousing opening with some steel the same thickness ans the plate that goes betwen the bellhousing and the block. I think the T5 plate is thinner.

Since you've removed the squeal I'll try to keep this short. I had the same problem with my starter and the issue turned out to be that the shaft had been pressed too far forward into the snout in the remanufacturing. I had to get to counter guy at Autozone to pull out another starter to compare where the gear rested in a properly configured starter, but then there was no question. If this is the problem and it is new enough, you should be able to swap it out as a defective part.

Or you could could just enjoy your car. :)