New to Classic Mustangs

• Sponsors (?)

StangBanger44 said:
isn't a 289 a little beefier block than a late model 302?

Virtually no difference between the blocks. Some say the pistion skirts of the 302 are 0.019" longer than the 289, others say this difference does not exist. As far as I know this is the only rumored difference between the early blocks.
There are Mexican blocks that are desired for due to better metalurgy.

StangBanger44 said:
Did you go from a C4 to a T5, i have an extra T5 and was thinking of the swap. I want to stick to a cable setup.

i went from a manual 3 speed to a t-5, the swap is pretty easy and its the best decision i have made so far....love the overdrive and the 5 gears is so much better than 3 crappy ones lol

Edbert said:
Don't get me wrong fellas, I am NOT ragging on the 289. They were awesome motors and have some advantages over the 302. Do not forget that they won a lot of races in their day either, but they were never good at drag strips, they LOVE to rev and are best suited for a road course where the RPMs can be kept where they belong.

i totally agree, great for road courses but not very good for drag races, a boss 429 or 427 or any big block for that matter is going to run train on a 289 all day, just a matter of more power and displacement...the 289 would have to be build to high heaven to keep up...but on a road course...the build 289 will run circles around the big blocks if placed in the correct car

StangBanger44 said:
Yeah i would like posi sometime in the future and don't want or need a monster 9 in(overkill) just a little trac loc in the 8 i have

yeah, he just rebuilt the 8 inch with new internals...i am not making the h.p. to break the 8 that i am aware of, even though i havent dyno'ed the car....but i havent had any problems for 2 years now

Update

Fouling plugs, not sure but on the two idle screws do they go in(tighten) to richen or out? Went over all of the other adjustents on carb multiple times and the only thing im not sure of is the idle screws. I started with 2 turns out on both.

Very slight loss and only at minimum RPM ranges like idle to 1500. From there on up the improvemnt is huge and the improvement overall VASTLY outweighs any loss. I don't want to start a religous war but Holleys make more power than Edelbrocks :D

I am going to recommend a holley or demon carb as well, they will make more power. Now for the intake you cannot beat the weiand Xcelerator, it is hands down the best all around intake for the 289-302. Single planes will make more power, and the Xcelerator is not so extreme that it will hurt low end. It almost doesn't drop anything down low but adds so much more throughout the whole power band especially up top. RPM Airgap is good, but the Xcelerator is a better intake, and will give you a better kick in the pants when you put your foot down. Couple that with some roller rockers, exhaust, and a cam you should feel a good difference will give your 93 a run for its money.

I just recommended the Edel for a a daily. It seems to work better than a Holley on a daily basis (I swapped between the 2). Hands down a Demon with an Air-Gap. Do the cam too. Look into the Isky cams, they really do well in a 289.

Update

Well i have not posted in a while, i finally got the motor running better after the carb rebuild and all of the plugs are great except for number 5 (front driver side) compression test was 122 while the other 7 where between 135 and 150. I really think it is not ring related but more of a valve problem due to a slight rattle/ticking coming from that area of the valve cover. Going to pull the cover and take a look see but what should i look for and check other than anything really loose or broken.