new to s197's Can they support ~700hp with a turbo setup?

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
I have played with the classic mustangs for a long time and am thinking about getting a 05+ as a DD to have a little fun with. I was curious how well a stock car takes to modifications and how well it can handle power? I would do a turbo conversion and was curious if the engine/trans/rearend will be able to handle around 700 horse? What power level to you get to where engines have to be pulled, transmissions changed, etc? I would like a pump gas ~700 horse street car and I was wondering if i would be able to just purchase one of these turbo kits, bolt it on, drop it off to get tuned, and be ready to roll?

• Sponsors (?)

No way a stock Mustang GT engine will handle 700 hp. You will blow the bottom end right out of it. You are much better off with a GT500 if that is your power goal. They have an iron block and a forged bottom end and can reach 700 hp with a blower swap and some other small modifications.

definitly not...spend the money build the car right...the is no way to put 700hp through internals they are barely ment for anything over 450hp....anything over 400hp i would definitly be putting stronger internals in....but if you like seeing rods shoot out the ol pan at bout 6000rpms go ahead....it is kinda cool to see at least once...kinda had a accident on the dyno one time
bigblock chevy 500 plus cubes+ nitrious+7200rpms=rod through oil pan

if you plan on pushing those kinda numbers plan on either upgrading the internals or getting a new shortblock right away.
i have some plans for when my warranty's up, that at the top of the list is a forged shortblock. so i don't have to worry about that when i throw big power at it.